I need a trim control for a terraplane,,buddah31552@yahoo.com

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
trim control for terraplane needed ,,, buddah31552@yahoo.com
You could use an electric linear actuator in place of the stock manual trim control. The manual one has left hand threads on one end and right hand threads on the other end. Turning the middle of it shortens or lengthens it. It would be kind of hazardous to reach down and turn it with your right hand as you ride to manually adjust the lean out using the stock trim control. I would never attempt that myself and would pull over to adjust it, which would be a hassle. Replacing it with a 12vdc electric linear actuator would allow push button control of lean angle as you ride. Two relays, one to make it longer and the second to make it shorter and two buttons along with two fuses is all that's needed to make a control box for it.
0002616_industrial-linear-actuator-12v24v-7500n-450mm-stroke_550.jpeg

zfL2q.png

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I think it's great that these parts are finding good homes instead of just being forgotten or scrapped because they can't be identified.

Are there measured drawings here somewhere so these parts can be replicated?

Heavy Armor

Grasshopper
Country flag
How well does that original trim system work? The DMC kit locks that stuff down HARD. When I installed my standard trim grip, it seemed to have a lot of play in it because of the plastic/rubber bushings at the mounting ends.

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
How well does that original trim system work? The DMC kit locks that stuff down HARD. When I installed my standard trim grip, it seemed to have a lot of play in it because of the plastic/rubber bushings at the mounting ends.
I made new bushings for mine. I found a set at John Deere, and used a belt sander to grind it down to size.

Two"85s"

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Update on the bushings:
I couldn't find anything that hade the right dimensions at energysuspension so the hunt was on.
What i did find was a urethane bushing kit at Speedway Motors. they will have to be trimmed for over length but all the other
dimensions are right on. the part #is 721-B6031K
P1030189.JPGP1030190_LI.jpgP1030191.JPG

turbodog

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
I made the adjustments needed (bolt diameter and possibly drilling the mounting hole - I don't recall exactly) to get a no-play, metal-to-metal connection at both ends. Of course, I have also found that I never actually adjust the thing. Once I got the rig tracking straight, I have never has cause to want to readjust it. Maybe a long ride on interstate highways might prompt me to do it.

Back when I was restoring the Terraplane and fabricating the bike mounting subframe (during the 'scope creep' phase, which fortunately gave way to the 'I have to limit scope and just get this thing done' phase) I considered using a power tilt/trim setup from a marine sterndrive. The hydraulic cylinders are a pretty good match for the twist trim, and the 12V powered pump/valve unit would fit behind the Terraplane seat. Glad I didn't do it. Would have been a complete waste of time.

Glad to know there are still a few useable twist trims out there in garages. I agree, getting these parts into the hands of folks who need them is a valuable part of this online community.