Hello from Leicestershire

AntelopeSam

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi All

I have owned a '79 Suzuki GS850g (amongst other bikes) for a fair few years now but have always wanted to use it for more distant rides because of how smooth & comfortable it is.
When I set out looking for a screen last year I hadn't heard of Vetter but found one for sale 3 hours away that I felt a need to buy!

Although there are a few members on here from the UK I doubt I will ever see another on the road!

The bracket the fairing came with was "from a Honda" I was told so I welded some bits on it to make it fit the GS. There is a little bit of flex in the bracket which results in some wobbling when going over our lovely UK roads... Has anyone else on here got a GS850/1000 and has a photo of the bracket that they have?

See pictures below if I manage to upload them!

Sam

20210410_151918_compress73.jpg
20210405_181816_compress45.jpg

Last edited:

AntelopeSam

Grasshopper
Country flag
Thanks for the images! They are very different to what I started with & what I created!

Do the U-bolt clamps pull the angle section into contact with the front of the frame? I'm guessing that is why the black paint has worn off.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Yep, that's exactly what they do, with a thin rubber layer (piece of old tyre tube cut to size) under them to protect the frame paint.
I've no doubt it also helps the location stay a bit more located through some friction too, but I've never noticed it being a problem.
I loved my Vetter, but replaced it with a Pantera II, which has a couple of useful extra features - places to easily mount a radio and extra gauges, for example.
The bike has now turned into a long-distance highway bruiser, which it always was, but in this configuration it's the bike it should have been 30 years ago when I bought it.

AntelopeSam

Grasshopper
Country flag
I have made a new mount still different to the original Vetter mount. I thought I'd upload a picture in case anyone stumbles on this thread looking.

Being 6'4 I've also made an adjustable screen extension as the 21inch screen I did have was just too short. I didn't like any pre-made ones so made my own by bending some polycarbonate over a mold in the oven.
After fitting this with some taller & wider bars it's made a lot of difference!

Sam
20210503_183623_compress12.jpg
20210515_170648_resize_38.jpg
20210515_170748_resize_61.jpg

Last edited: