My Vetter XS1100 Front End Thread

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Woul you think this is a good up grade for a 1000 78 goldwing. I have in the past had front end wobble due to low leaking forks. Would it be possable to mask weak shock one side or the other with this in place. or are they subject to notice error in the front end ? thanks

roncar

Woul you think this is a good up grade for a 1000 78 goldwing. I have in the past had front end wobble due to low leaking forks. Would it be possable to mask weak shock one side or the other with this in place. or are they subject to notice error in the front end ? thanks
A fork brace?

I wouldn't get one to try to "mask" a problem. People smarter than I say, "The front suspension on vintage Hondas like early 'Wings and CBXs is a "weak link" design element..... A fork brace won't "fix" mechanical, tire or other real problems. It does make a subtle improvement over a perfectly working stock suspension."

I wouldn't look for a brace to 'fix' your problems, but a brace is not a bad idea.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Yes thank you. I have a good working front forks on my 78 gl. I know I'm not going to fall over There expensive To. Besides if I need to replace a seal once a year or something no biggie there cheap enough. I just hope the set holds up that are in there now.

Sparkfly88

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
The front fender on the xs1100 is the brace... At least that was the design idea. But! It allows a ton of flex.

If you are doing 70+ on the highway, and you dodge something in the road, or you purposely dodge a reflector in the road... Your in for a wild ride. The front wheel will continue to wobble back n forth for a bit.

It's a terrible feeling.

The tkat brace.... Or telefix brace, cures most of the wobble.

It's just in the design of the front end... Because your only being held by the two Springs, and the front sheet steel of the fender. The shocks have individual movement when you do a quick movement.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
Motorcycle Consumer News did a front fork article on the XS1100 about '81...I still might have it mixed in with my other stuff in the garage...dang..quit making me think!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
What odd is I have been riding a XS 11 and 850 since I was 19 years old. I had never experienced the death wobble till this last time. Never had a fork brace either. I don't want to experience it again also.

Sparkfly88

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
I was doing 70 ish. In the middle of lanes. Did a very fast reflector Dodge.
Whole front end freaked out and kept going back n forth.

Only way to kill it is to speed up or slow down.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
That is not a good thought, I can't even image wobble with a sidecar, let again, the aftermath if it continues.....