Calling All Vetter Keys

Larry Fine

Country flag
I would gladly buy a trio of keys (2 Hudsons, one VF) for my luggage.

I'd like to try to cut by code vs. duplicating but I'll have to practice with a couple of locks first to try to find something that works. I have a key duplicator and a code cut tool, so I can cut them regardless.
Wouldn't cutting duplicates to the existing key be better for locks and keys that have worn together over the years? I would imaging that a new cut-to-original-code key wouldn't work smoothly in an old lock. I had that issue with trying to get a duplicate ignition key for my bike. The new key worked about 1 out of 10 tries.

roncar

Wouldn't cutting duplicates to the existing key be better for locks and keys that have worn together over the years? I would imaging that a new cut-to-original-code key wouldn't work smoothly in an old lock. I had that issue with trying to get a duplicate ignition key for my bike. The new key worked about 1 out of 10 tries.
I have read that before, but after cutting Goldwing keys by code for 3 and a half years now, the most common comments are "Works perfectly" and "Works better than the key I had." Based on that, I'm not sure I believe you 'need' a worn key to operate a worn lock. But there may be exceptions.

Any copy of a key will be slightly off from the one it's cut from. A copy of a copy will be even further off from the original. I think of it like a xerox copy of a xerox copy is just not as sharp as the original document.

Plus in the case of the early Goldwing keys I cut, there are 4 different key blanks and over 1000 total key codes. Without cutting by code, I'd have to have a lot of money tied up in a lot of keys to make duplicates from. I have cut over 500 keys so far, and that's not 500 different codes so the majority of the codes I have never cut, and may not need to, ever.

I am still thinking on the Hudson (and other single sided) keys. Those blanks (Y11) are as common as dirt and you should be able to find someone locally to cut them for cheaper than I can, once postage and fees are added in. The y11 blanks are MUCH cheaper than the D8777 so I am initially anticipating that I could cut and mail a pair of them for $5.00. But there are soooooo many code series and codes, I don't know if it's feasible to pursue. Without code books and a method to cut them by code, the only way would be for you to send me your key and I send it and your copies back. Not an optimum solution.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
I am not a key guy and I hope I am not stealing anyone's thunder, but my local locksmith came up with a perfict key blank match for my VF-103 tonneau cover key. It is a 1527 ilco. I hope this helps.

roncar

I am not a key guy and I hope I am not stealing anyone's thunder, but my local locksmith came up with a perfect key blank match for my VF-103 tonneau cover key. It is a 1527 ilco. I hope this helps.
That is actually quite helpful. I had found the 1527 as an alternate number for the D8777 (see post 40 on page 2 of this thread.) While probably more readily available, locally, I have found 1527 blanks online the same price as D8777 blanks. But with this new information I am more confident that the D8777 blanks are the correct OEM blanks for the VF-xxx series.

RealtyCaffeine

Grasshopper
Is this thread still active? I have a Vetter V and I need a key for the right side compartment. No key to copy (long story) so I'm wondering if there is really a set of master keys around. I hope so :)

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Is this thread still active? I have a Vetter V and I need a key for the right side compartment. No key to copy (long story) so I'm wondering if there is really a set of master keys around. I hope so :)
No master key. The locks are just standard 1/2" Cabinet Locks. The locks Vetter installed have a smaller square lever mounting tab than new replacement locks. A square file can be used to enlarge the old square levers if you need to reuse them with your new locks. Tractor Supply has replacement locks that are all keyed the same so you only need to carry one key to unlock everything.

KZ1100A again

Grasshopper
Country flag
I have a set of original keys for a KZ1100A fairing. I also just bought a 2nd KZ1100A both 82 models. This 2nd one had the keys stolen a week before I picked the bike up. I had a trunk key as it was the only lock open, which does not fit the bags or locks. Will get copies and send them once I get these locks figured out, thanks

Searosefarm

Grasshopper
Country flag
I found barrel keyed lock sets on Amazon and bought a set of 6 for $20 or so. It beats the heck out of having a total of 4 different keys plus bike ignition