Wanted: Windjammer 4 lowers for 1980 Suzuki GS1000G

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
I'm looking for a pair of lowers for an SS Windjammer 4 that are designed to fit the Suzuki GS1000G. They would be the same as the ones in the picture of my black 1980GS850G in my add looking for the Vetter turn signal chrome. I don't know the exact number but I do know that the 5 series fairing have an "edge" to the lowers that won't fit older models. They are all over Ebay but it seems most people are taking a guess at what they fit, and, they are insane with what they are asking IMHO.

Larry Fine

Country flag
How about a swap? I have a pair of lowers that were mis-identified when I bought them. I can't tell which type box had originally been checked, but they'll fit everything except my WJ-5. They're not perfect, but they are black with the silver edge trim, and have no pinstripes on them, and they're pretty good considering the age.

Everything you need to know about lowers is at the bottom of this page:
http://craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairings/interchangeability_of_part.html

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Larry, sure I'd be interested in a swap. Can you attach a pic or two of the units that you have? I've read the whole page you linked to before, but can't remember what number exactly I need to fit my Suzuki. If they are in about the same shape, and I can make them fit it's a deal. I'm selling a mint Vetter 5 on Ebay too and these are a part of the deal so I have to make sure I don't end up with a pair that fit nothing I have.

BTW, is your name really "Larry Fine", or is he your favorite stooge? Moe is my favorite, thus I use his nickename, "MickeyMoe". I LOVE that fight scene where he announces how tough he is and calls himself that!

Mark

Larry Fine

Country flag
I can take pics tonight or tomorrow, and send them to you.

That's really my name.Which fairing auction is yours?

Larry Fine

Country flag
We should talk. I'm VERY interested in that fairing, too. Can you get a realistic shipping quote to Richmond, VA 23238?

If we can speak, I'll send you my cellphone number (or send me yours) via private message; see Inbox in the upper right corner of any forum page.

BTW, I have relatives in Newington.

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Larry,

Just to be sure, I held my lowers up to my bike and to my surprise- they fit! They are "Type 3" and according to the link you provided they fit Suzuki GS850 and GS1000 also! The only thing is they have the plastic extension with the Vetter logo on it that cover's the back of the cylinder head and the carbs. I'd rather see those parts and am also concerned about compromising heat dissipation of the cylinder head.

If yours are the same condition, are type 3 and DON'T have the extension I'd be willing to swap, otherwise it seems wise for me to keep these.

As far as the Vetter 5 fairing I have on Ebay, I don't have a way to come up with a shipping quote since it's available for local purchase on Craigslist. I don't have a box and the proper padding material either. Also, it would need to be insured obviously due to heavy-handed carriers.

On Ebay, the shipping charges range between 100.00- 250.00 (packing and handling probably included) for fairing shipping.

Mark

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Larry- how are you doing on those pics? If your's are a better fit than mine we can still do the swap. Also, your thoughts on the fairing? Shipping would likely be too much, but I don't want to sell it locally if you want it. Rather have someone in the forum take it.

Mark

Larry Fine

Country flag
My apologies. I was under the impression that you were not interested from your last post, so I didn't take the pics. I'll get them done today.

The simplest way to see if your lowers are compatible is to compare the three mounting screw holes along each lower with the holes of the fairing.

I could always take my fairing off and ride up to you and mount that one for the ride home. Only a bit extravagant, right?

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Well I got my lowers trimmed and installed. It took a bit more work than I expected, but then I realized they may have been designed for a "Kawasaki by Vetter" fairing and that's why the holes were off just enough to make it a fight to properly install. They worked out pretty well though, check the pic. Now the relaxing part- detail out the whole bike!

Mark
lowers_1.jpg

Seth Matthews

Vetter Aficionado
Well I got my lowers trimmed and installed. It took a bit more work than I expected, but then I realized they may have been designed for a "Kawasaki by Vetter" fairing and that's why the holes were off just enough to make it a fight to properly install. They worked out pretty well though, check the pic. Now the relaxing part- detail out the whole bike!

MarkView attachment 2441

looks familiar

Attachments

• bike right2.jpg
    bike right2.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 433

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Hey Seth, Nice bike, same color etc as mine! BTW, how did you attach the highway bars and the Vetter fairing at the same time? My bike came with a one-piece highway bar like yours but I had to remove it when I put the fairing on because it mounted to the same place on the double-down-tubes as the fairing so I had to leave it off.

P.S. I have one of those seats too but haven't tried it out yet.

Mark

Seth Matthews

Vetter Aficionado
U-Bolt.jpg
I u-bolted it to the brackets of the windjammer, not the best in a crash, but at a low speed, dumping it on its side, it held up enough to keep the fairing off the pavement. also held the bars at a slight forward angle. Me being tall, this helped for using highway pegs.

Seth Matthews

Vetter Aficionado
I have the same color and model bike, can you tell me how far the lowers come out from the engine? I have a highway bar on mine and IDK if I can use lowers, and still use my foot pegs.

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Before I put on the fairing the bike had a one piece bolt on rectangular highway bar. I wanted to keep it on with the fairing but it bolts to the frame in the exact same spot on the top as does the fairing. The lowers don't stick out further than the cylinder shape areas of the side covers so if you wanted foot pegs you'd have to put the small 2 point or 3 point mounting case guards on the bike. I have those installed and was thinking about the pegs myself.