Unknown fairing with Cycle sound - not one of the first Windjammers at all but a 100% clone...

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
OK guys, seems to be a WJ 3....

Will keep you informed as I have an eye on that auction.

Regards Dieter

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Got that fairing for one Euro :clap...

Will pick it up in two weeks or so. Keep you informed.

Dieter

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Got that fairing for one Euro :clap...

Will pick it up in two weeks or so. Keep you informed.

Dieter
Excellent. There are still plenty of bargains to be had, as most recent riders haven't ridden long and hard in adverse weather, so don't know the joys of a fairing. They think fairings are ugly. When I look at fairings, I do so with an eye to their effectiveness and the aesthetic is secondary. Anyway, because of the low demand for them, they're still dirt cheap. Grab a couple while you can, because eventually the supply will dry up.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
It came from the US together with an old Moto Guzzi.

If anybody is interested in the brackets - let me know.

Dieter

Michi

Grasshopper
Hallo Dieter
ich habe vor eine Moto Guzzi V65C (siehe http://www.tutti.ch/thurgau/fahrzeuge/motorraeder/angebote/moto-guzzi-v65-c_19091050.htm) mit einer Vetter Verkleidung auszustatten. Evtl. könnte ich die Halterung gebrauchen. Könntest du ein Bild posten oder mir per Mail (mig21@gmx.ch) zukommen lassen?
Bin noch neu hier in der Community und suche eine Vetter II ohne Blinker. Auf ebay habe ich folgende gefunden: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/treebay-ad.html?id=v1|272993002777|0
Da ich in Zürich wohne, ist mir Berlin aber zu weit. Hast du vielleicht so was oder kennst du jemanden im Süddeutschen Raum?
Wäre cool von dir zu hören.
Gruss aus der Schweiz
Michi

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Hi guys,

big surprise, just picked up the fairing - that one is old, really old. It‘s not made of ABS but made of fiberglas!!! Seems to be in quite good shape, photos will follow.

Did not find any number plate. Where do I have to look for a serial number?

Dieter

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Had a look at craigs page. According his information, my fairing must be one of the very first - made between September and November 71 as there is no serial number plate. I will look for the scratched in number tomorrow.

Dieter

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
soft cover.jpg
Today I was dis
A&B.jpg
mantling the fairing.

Under the cycle sound box I found a sticker from A&B fibreglass productions from Huntington Beach, CA.....OK the dream of a really old Windjammer passed away:tomato.

However, this fairing seems to be a 100% clone of the old WJ. Even the shape of the windscreen is identical and my original WJ4 storage box soft cover fits to the A&B version.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Dieter

Last edited:

Alan 63

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
From what I can see , it looks like a windjammer and looks to be made from abs plastic , and not fibreglass . Perhaps the sticker you found under the cycle sound was from a previous owner (?) , dealer ?
Looks like a good find and well bought

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
590F4E91-24E8-4352-994A-95C33791CB60.jpeg
Having a look into the storage compartments you can clearly see it‘s made of fibreglass.

Dieter

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Here are the original photos from the German eBay auction. These links disappear over time leaving people wondering what the post was about. Its nice for people looking for Vetter knowledge in the future to know the entire story. :rad

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg

limpy45

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Other than the side marker lights, it looks like the very first Windjammer I had back in 1973 or74. I had the first Windjammer in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Both Honda dealers sold many fairings because people had seen mine and talked to me about them. Unfortunately I did NOT receive any commissions on these sales.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I wonder why new clones are not made today? They would need to be a few inches wider to clear the wider forks and gas tanks used on most modern bikes. Harley is still selling it's frame mounted Glide fairing for lots and lots of dollars. There are also lots of clone Batwing fairings available as well. One would think new (clone) Windjammers would show up in the custom aftermarket accessory shops. I constantly have other Bikers ask me where I bought my fairing thinking I just ordered it on-line somewhere. They are shocked when I tell them it's from the 1970's. I've put Windjammers on two other Honda VLX 600 cruisers like I did mine. It's one of the few modern bikes it can be mounted on.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Thats a good question Scott. Every time I see a Harley or any other bike with a fairing I think back the the WJ and what started it all. Craig was truly a pioneer in the industry. I think they look sharp on modern bikes. Would cool to see a modernized version of the WJ. Still he same lines, just a bit more modern. Call it the Windjammer X.

:chopper

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Thats a good question Scott. Every time I see a Harley or any other bike with a fairing I think back the the WJ and what started it all. Craig was truly a pioneer in the industry. I think they look sharp on modern bikes. Would cool to see a modernized version of the WJ. Still he same lines, just a bit more modern. Call it the Windjammer X.

:chopper
I don't think I would call it a Windjammer X. Most everyone has forgotten about the Liberator. It was the larger version of the Windjammer for Harley's. I would name the modern version the Liberator II with an additional letter/number designation noting bolt on mods for different bikes like the optional lowers for the Windjammer. The Liberator fairing was abandoned after a fire destroyed the molds and tooling and Harley also came up with the Road Glide frame mounted fairing still sold today on top end touring bikes. It would be easy to cut up and mod a Windjammer and use it for the molds to produce a modern version of the 'Liberator II'.
1974-Liberator-acceptance.jpg

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
or! we can make a the Harley version the Liberator II, and the non Harley be the Windjammer. Thinking from a sales perspective, the Windjammer as far as a name goes if much more recognized than the Liberator. I bet if one could design one, the name it self would sell.

The Liberator was sure a sharp looking fairing. It melded to that Road Glide so well.

vetter-liberator-harley-fairing.jpg

My buddy sent me a pic of his Harley he just modded up and its amazing how much influence Craigs fairing have on all these more modern setups. Even the lower speakers are just like Vetter Lowers. Hmmmm

custom-harley-davidson-paint-fairing-speakers.jpeg

Dan Currie

Grasshopper
There was a direct knock off of the Vetter Windjammers in the mid 70s called the WINDKUTTER ... see here