Trunk harness

Bob kirk

Grasshopper
Craig
I am resurrecting a windjammer V on a 1982 suzuki GS1100 and I need a Trunk harness will the SS harness be compatible with the Windjammer V ?

Craig Vetter

Vetter Founder
All rear luggage plug harnesses were the same. They had nothing to do with the fairing harness. The trunk harness is a bit of a problem in that I cannot locate the original quick disconnect plug assembly anymore. If anybody can ID a contemporary source for those plugs, please let me know. In the mean time, you might want to consider grafting in a standard modern trailer wiring harness. Put a new aluminum plate over the old plate, drill a hole in the new cover for a grommet, thread the trailer harness thru the grommet. It will be clean, sturdy and reliable.

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
All rear luggage plug harnesses were the same. They had nothing to do with the fairing harness. The trunk harness is a bit of a problem in that I cannot locate the original quick disconnect plug assembly anymore. If anybody can ID a contemporary source for those plugs, please let me know. In the mean time, you might want to consider grafting in a standard modern trailer wiring harness. Put a new aluminum plate over the old plate, drill a hole in the new cover for a grommet, thread the trailer harness thru the grommet. It will be clean, sturdy and reliable.
I found that if the trunk still has the original plug, a turn signal plug from a windjammer will work.
P1000566.JPG

Otherwise you can replace the plug by shaving the original plug hole and replacing it with a Radio Shack 4 prong plug. This way if you want to use the trunk light as turn signals, you just need to add the extra wire.
P1000562.JPG
Female: #274-234
P1000570 (2).JPG
Male plug: #274-224

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
It really kills me to see the original parts not being used. Like Craig said he has not been able to source the connectors to date. However, they have to be out there somewhere. I have been, and am a huge fun of 100% original.

Tom found a great substitute, but for me, if I were looking for a Vetter fairing or accessory and it had connectors that were not original or exact replicas, it would sway my decision to buy the piece. Not saying that alternatives are bad, just saying that there are not many of these out there and we need to keep the original as possible for future generations to enjoy.

Maybe.. Buying a trunk that is complete garbage, abused, and ready for the crusher, and pulling the connector may be a good strategy?? Then, I will fight with myself to want to restore the complete junk part...

Did I just go to far? :pompus:

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
As you can see in the picture, whoever had this trunk before me just destroyed the serial plate. A lot of the trunks have the internal wire harness but are missing the bike harness, because people take off the trunk, sell them, and forget to remove the bike's wire harness. And because of this the next person pulls the old trunk plug and tries to replace it with a car trailer wire kit. It doesn't work well and looks like crap. That's why I went with the 4 wire plug from Radio Shack to give it a somewhat original (as best as it can be) look.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Its a fine alternative Tom. At this point your hands are tied. You can't replace the tag. However, why replace it with a fake when you can restore it! Rivets, flat black paint, sandpaper, and some silk screening equipment and you will be on your way. Ohh and original or recreated artwork...

Now I really went to far.... :bankhead:

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Just curious now... what does the original connector look like? I have had two trunks, and both have had no connectors: just wires running through the hole Up until this thread, I was not aware that a connector existed.

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Here's 3 pictures: The first is of my original trunk plug.
Trunk side.JPG

The second is the plug I made using the connector from a turn signal plug.
Plug side.JPG
The third is them put together.
Trunk & plug.JPG

Sometimes when you don't have or can't find originals you have to make do with what is available.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
I used a 9 Pin Windjammer plug pair to rewire my trunk with the faceplate turned backwards (loose plate from a long gone WJ).

I needed 9pins because I ran turn signals and 2 speaker wires thru the trunk. Lights and speakers are on the bags but wanted a clean way to route wires from frame. I then have 4 wire quick connects coming out of the bottom of the trunk and running to each saddlebag.

FYI: At last attempt the speaker experiment was a failure (or needs sound proofing and/or porting).

A spare 9pin will be stock like (great for adding turn options to the rear of the trunk) but you'll loose the original trunk serial plate. :(