Just ordered my first Vetter fairing, a Quicksilver for an '83 Nighthawk 650

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Hey, new member here, from UT. I've been a lover of old Hondas for years and recently fell in love with Vetter fairings. I bought a NOS Quicksilver off eBay (for more than I should have, but I had to have it), with mounting brackets. I want to do some adventure touring on my '83 Nighthawk and thought a little fairing would help. Will post pics when it arrives and document the install process as I haven't found as much online as I had wanted thus far.

Trailone10.com is where my brothers and I blog about our little motorcycle touring misadventures. I'll post vids there.

ET

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 664
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 823

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Hey,welcome to the site.
SLC...love it in Utah around there with the mountains.Always stayed in Ogden and camped in the High Unitas.
Amen! I just got back last Sunday from a little overnight motorcycle trip through the mnts and we camped in the Unitas. Of course we were riding very small bikes this time. Here's one of the vids of our trip through Big Cottonwood canyon.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Welcome, E.T.!

A Vetter on a Nighthawk . . . what could be better?

Let us know if you need any install help.

Pics upon completion a must!

Definitely! Thanks for the offer. This is my first fairing and first vetter, so I may have some questions. It is NOS and should be coming with the appropriate mounting hardware, so we'll see how hard it is.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Epic, and thanks for sharing the video. Looking forward to seeing the pics once you get your fairing on. Did you get the black Nightstalker that was on there? Ill check out your site too.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Welcome to the forum Epic, and thanks for sharing the video. Looking forward to seeing the pics once you get your fairing on. Did you get the black Nightstalker that was on there? Ill check out your site too.
It is a black one (are all black ones Nightstalker?), here's a picture of what I hope shows up. Milwaukee Cycle, or something, is the name of the vender. They said I got the last mount for my year Nighthawk. The entire kit is supposed to be NOS, I'll find out Monday after work hopefully.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 488

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Question, I'm thinking about digitizing the mounting instructions (for posterity's sake), do you guys have a place to save things like that?

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Question, I'm thinking about digitizing the mounting instructions (for posterity's sake), do you guys have a place to save things like that?

You have a couple of options:
Start a separate thread in the tech section and attach them to that post, Create an album and post them in the Gallery, or post them it here in this thread, but that is probably the least desirable since they would become buried. The other two options would be easier to find using search features.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I would agree with Brian. Its always nice to see them placed as PDF's in the technical forum with a good title like "Vetter Quicksilver Manual and Mounting Instructions". The more descriptive the title, the better it will be for people outside the forum to find it via the search engines.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
I would agree with Brian. Its always nice to see them placed as PDF's in the technical forum with a good title like "Vetter Quicksilver Manual and Mounting Instructions". The more descriptive the title, the better it will be for people outside the forum to find it via the search engines.
I'll scan then when I get a chance, they'll come out better that way too.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
image.jpg
I finally got the Nightstalker back from my electric guy, next off for inspection! So far I've replaced the rear shocks with Progressives and the stock turn signals that were pretty much falling off. I believe the bike is ready to pass inspection, but I do have a rattle that I hear coming from the engine and I'm not sure what that is all about.

The fairing is just about perfect height with the seat on. Without a helmet the wind blows through my hair, but not into my eyes (very enjoyable sensation, though I ride with a helmet 99% of the time). It could probably be another inch tall, but it is so close to perfect I won't mess with it. Over all I'm very satisfied. The damage I thought was on the piping ended up being copious amounts of dried mouse urine (with much more feces and urine in the compartments :( ), disgusting, but easily remedied with a Clorox wipe and I was left with only a chip on the fairing to really complain about. Overall I'm very happy with how the Nighthawk has turned out. I think it is true, you either love the Quicksilver or you hate it. I love it on this bike!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
That looks sharp. Wait until you ride it down the road at 60+ mph. You will not believe the difference of how the bike handles when it is cutting through the wind.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Epic.... well.... that looks epic! Great job. Hope you don't mind, but I made the images full size and not thumbnails. Those pics need to be right up front in public view. :):)

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Epic.... well.... that looks epic! Great job. Hope you don't mind, but I made the images full size and not thumbnails. Those pics need to be right up front in public view. :):)

Cool! Thanks!

I just lowered the front end last night, about three inches, and I like the look even better (another dark pic). The black fairing and the stock black fender really kind of tie the look together. Additionally I found a used Nightstalker fairing local for $25 that I'm going to pick up this weekend hopefully. I'm afraid this is exactly how obsessions begin.

image.jpg

Last edited: