Vetter top-loader saddle bag 1157 socket replacement/repair

thewozza

Grasshopper
Hey Vetter folks,

Last year I bought a 1981 GS850 with a sidecar and I spent the winter getting it to run. Now that I'm there I can focus on the other stuff. I'm not sure if I'll keep the top-case on there, but I'll definitely keep the saddle-bags.

The signal lamps in the sidecases don't light. The socket housing only has one pole attached, with the ground just taped to the socket housing - I think it must have broken free of it's original ground pole. Like this picture: http://imgur.com/epCncGx

I only have two wires going in here, so I guess these are just signals and not running lights at all. Also the socket itself is rusted and corroded, I can clean that up though.

Any recommendations? I'd love to put an LED 1157 system in here but with the current state of the socket maybe there's a better way. Maybe I can get a whole new socket attached somehow.

michael_pickell

Learning the Ropes
I didn't know Vetter made top loading bags. This is the only bag I know of and it did not have lights.
$_12.jpg

rob.lafady

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Can you post pictures of your bags? I to have only ever seen the side load case as pictured above.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! No matter what the bags, the sockets can be replaced/repaired. Auto-parts stores carry these:

5421x1__08723.1405416188.1000.1000.jpg

You can clean up what you have and then solder a new ground to the socket rather tape it and now you have turn and running lights.