New member in south Wales, UK

The Womble

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi everyone. Just joined from Beddau in south Wales. I have a Yamaha XS 750 which, so I was told, had been on display in the Barber museum in Alabama before being exported to the UK. It has a Vetter fairing and I`ve just bought a trunk, panniers and WJ 4 to see what I can make out of all the bits.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Welcome! I don't think many Windjammers made it over to the U.K. in the 1970's even when Mr. Craig Vetter was building and selling them here in the USA. I'd be willing to bet no one has ever seen one on a Motorcycle you'll meet there. When you get out and ride to a Motorcycling event you are sure to draw a crowd and get many questions about your Bike. Even here in the USA they have become something you don't see very often anymore. I have a Windjammer 4, bags, and trunk on my modern Honda Shadow, which changes it's appearance completely. It also changes the performance and comfort or my Bike for the better.

The Womble

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi Scott and thanks for your message. You're right, there aren't many over here although there are usually a couple on Ebay at any given time. I've tried sending a photo but it doesn't seem to work. I'll keep trying. Thanks again. Martin.

The Womble

Grasshopper
Country flag
Finally able to send a photo.

Attachments

• DSCF5367.JPG
    DSCF5367.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 115

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
That's a good looking bike! That Windjammer 4 is gorgeous as well. The paint was done very nicely.

The Womble

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi Scott and thanks for the message. The fairing I bought was the Windjammer 4, and I only knew that because it says so on the manufacturers plate inside the left hand side of the fairing. It doesn`t say that on the fairing on the bike so I wasn`t sure what model it was. As for the paintwork, the red bit is okay from a distance, but close up you can see some runs, but, it`s better than I could do so I`m not criticising it !!

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
One thing you need to do is remove the light pods that contain the turn signal and clearance bulbs and check the glue between the reflector and lens. They just have a couple of screws holding them in and slide right out. The glue eventually drys out after so many decades allowing the lens to fall away while your riding. There are no replacement lens! Craig Vetter had them custom made and so are not standard lens. The only recourse is to go on eBay and buy a used one to replace the lost lens. Anyway just remove the two screws, slide the light pod out through the pocket opening and inspect the glued joint between the lens and reflector. If the glue has deteriorated you'll see areas that have a gap between the lens and reflector. The lens will easily pull away from the reflector. To fix it pull the lens off the reflector, which should be easy to do. After you have the lens and reflector separated you can clean the old glue from the lens and reflector and use 3M glue to reattach the lens to the reflector. The 3M glue will last far longer than the 1970's glue that was used 40+ years ago.
s-l300.jpg

The Womble

Grasshopper
Country flag
Thanks for that advice, Scott. I will check when the weather allows although I can`t use the bike at the moment as it needs two new tyres so there`s no chance of anything falling off just yet. As I have 2 fairings, I do have 2 spares though !