My Latest Acquisition '77 Honda Oldwing with some Vetter

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414278129.302056.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414278200.958852.jpg

22k just missing the bags. Gonna use this to do a coast to coast possibly next year with my brother. The bike is actually a '77, oops.

Epic Trekker
Trailone10.com

Last edited:

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
I think I got an okay-pretty good deal ($1200). It needs a little clean up, but I drove it home on the freeway about 40 miles last night and it did great at 65-70 mph the whole way and temperature was nice and steady, no weird noises. Everything on it works and it passed my little tests I read about on the net (it's my first Goldwing so what do I know). I'm gonna do the timing belts and clean it up before we get out trekking next spring. I'm already dying to put it to the test and now winter for us is right around the corner :(.

Epic Trekker
Trailone10.com

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Thats a really good price. Here in Cali, crapper ones are $1500 and nice ones are 2k plus. I am trying to find a 78 in decent condition so I can build the blue Vetter showroom replica bike. I want to make it just like it rolled off the showroom, so when I can I find NOS goodies and buy them even know I don't have a bike yet.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
So I'm little by little getting in to the Gold Wing, but definitely getting a kick out of it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414628022.737543.jpg
here's another pic from another angle.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
I'm starting to dig into it as it isn't quite ready to do the kind of trip we are planning. I got the windshield off and will be replacing it and I took off the Vetter Sound since I won't be bringing that on the trip. I'm gonna probably have to take the entire fairing off to get at the steering head bearings which need replacing. I think I'll put a more comfy seat on too, but all of the fun stuff will come after timing belts and liquid change throughout. We'll see, lots of time, lots of work to do. While I was cleaning it up I found an old lighter in the fairing, like Christmas.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414793775.742149.jpg
I wonder what kinds of ancient artifacts come out of these fairings when they change owners?

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Ran in to a problem with my new Gold Wing saddle, it doesn't seem to fit in between my Vetter saddlebag mounts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415753835.734754.jpg
There is a big difference between the seat it came with and the Corbin and I think I'm gonna happy with the seat. However, I think I need as much as 1/2" on each side to make the seat work with the Vetter mounts.
Has anyone faced this problem?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415753919.723911.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Never saw that problem before, but I have to say... That looks like one SWEET SEAT!

It appears that your seat's grab bar is aftermark or home made. Maybe that is contributing to the problem.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
Are Corbin seats worth it? My 11 seat kinda sucks and is wore out and have had monkey butt from it a few times.
Just thinking about down the road.

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
Are Corbin seats worth it? My 11 seat kinda sucks and is wore out and have had monkey butt from it a few times. Just thinking about down the road.
Don't tell me that! :) I'm gonna be putting some serious miles on that seat and it better be comfy!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415835499.420614.jpg

Maybe I'll bring some of this just in case.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
I have the Special and that might have something to do with it.The standard is set up a bit better for the long hauls.My trips out by you to Ogden is about 1700 miles and I could do it three days but pushed it to four so I wouldn't be tired when I got to my destination. Instead of going thru your home town SLC I would get off in Wyoming and then take RT 39 I think into Ogden.
I feel my monkey butt now just thinking about it and I am just in my office!!!!;)

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
You want to talk about comfortable. I rode my KZ1000 Police the other day. Wow, it's like taking your living room out for a spin. Huge big butt seat, foot rests, heel toe shifter, fairing. Fun bike, people even move over for you!

1996_KZ_1000_Police_Issue_01.jpg