My 1977 Honda GoldWing

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Hello there to all.

I have just found my next project bike for this year. A 1977 HONDA GoldWing. I will be posting this frame up restoration. This bike has a story and here it is. I was riding home from work last Friday and I get a phone call from a customer where I work. He asked me if I would call his friend that was having trouble getting his GoldWing going. I said why sure no problem it would be my pleasure. I called him up to find he had bought a 77 Honda Gl1000 black in color. The first thing I said to him after he told me his name was do you want to see this bike. He thought that was funny but I was not joking. Anyway I went over there and someone took the carburetors apart and rebuilt them with all the wrong parts, not saying wrong parts but the cheep ones. I told him what it would cost to do it up right and get this bike going like it should that number is more than the cost of the bike plus labor. So he asked if I was willing to buy it and now I own it. Here is a picture of the 77.
77GL1000.jpg

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Paul I hate to tell you. You now have VOG's stage 2. It's not looking good for you son.
VOG? Hmm unsure of this. I did however go to the DR last week and he told me I have MMS. Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome.. There in no none cure for it You just need to go easy and take one day @ a time.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
VOG? Hmm unsure of this. I did however go to the DR last week and he told me I have MMS. Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome.. There in no none cure for it You just need to go easy and take one day @ a time.

Just wish I had a "toy box" big enough for another couple of bike "toys", bit limited here, jealous of you guys.

roncar

MMS (also referred to as MBS) is a condition that has many different strains, VOGS being one of them (I also have MGS, multiple goldwings syndrome.) No cure and you can have several strains at the same time making the diagnosis more complicated. :confused:
Just wish I had a "toy box" big enough for another couple of bike "toys", bit limited here, jealous of you guys.
There does seem to be relationship to available space.:( But not always!:D

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
78 Wing will be my next. I hope I don't contract MGS. However, hanging out on this forum all the time doesn't help! It's like the red light district.

roncar

77 will be my next Wing. I have heard that three isn't too many... :confused:
Too many? I thought 3 was a minimum.:p
78 Wing will be my next. I hope I don't contract MGS. However, hanging out on this forum all the time doesn't help! It's like the red light district.
Good luck with that.:confused:

Most of mine started for a c-note or less. Unfortunately I also have the space.:eek: I have 3 in various stages of together and enough parts to make 3+ more.:) And then the Vetter stuff.

Can't afford to service and maintain them all as complete bikes, so lots of spare parts it is.:rolleyes:

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Can't afford to service and maintain them all as complete bikes, so lots of spare parts it is.:rolleyes:

I know what you mean.Ron If I have another year like last year I might be tempted to get something newer and only keep one of the old Wings, but I would have a hard time decciding which one. My goal is to have one of each of the 4 cylinder Gold Wings and a 76/77 would be the one. Just something about the 78/79 that doesn't do it for me.

If anyone ever tells my wife, I would deny every writing it a say that someone hacked my account... :D

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Pulled the fairing off and the bags. Fairing has multiple cracks in it so it will be stripped and used for parts. The bags will go to auction I'll keep the lowers maybe. Out of the weather painting the parts for the 78 Sunday.
.wings.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
1975 was the first year they were sold, but if you look hard enough you can find a few of the earlier prototypes.

Sold as Nakeds only from 75 to 79 (1000) then 80 to 83 (1100) and 84 (1200) it was an option and it was called a Standard. The 84 was the last year a Standard was made and is probably the rarest.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Hello all.

Just a little update I have been working my @ss off but I have been working on my bike to. The 77 has bad clutch's and the carbs are full of sunshine wine. This bike has been sitting for a looong time. The guy took the other guy for a bit of money. I bought it from him and now it is naked. I have all the bags and other parts off the bike. The carburetors are on the bench ready for a serious cleaning. I do have a few set that are in WAY BETTER SHAPE with the original jets in them. The guy that owned the bike thought he was doing himself a favor by using a aftermarket kit. removing the needle and seats and I'm sure the screens are gone from under them cause they seats don't normally come out without breaking them at the screen. This is speaking from experience this is the worse thing you can do to the carburetors. Clean the jets replace the Orings clean the rest of the inside clean the jets with piano wire more air then more air no carburetor cleaner brake cleaner it's better for them.

The 78 is finally off to the decal shop to get them installed on the bike. I had to buy new coils the DYNA just went bad after 13 months. I set a email to DYNA about the issue so when I pull them off to send out I will have a set of excel coils to go back into the 78. Then I can put the whole thing back together finally. I'm super stoked about it. Also I'm sorry for not replying to messages for some reason I'm not getting alerts anymore. I haven't figured it out I also haven't watched much tv either. My job has taken an advanced and I'm in school for work after work most of the time.. So much love to my VETTER friends. May you all have a wonderful week ahead. I'm putting together a personal web site primarily about the 78 GoldWing and all I've learned from working on one. Most of the unwritten stuff is what will be listed the things they don't teach or show you in a manual. Thanks again. Your Vetter friend,

Paul.

Attachments

• 77a.jpg
    77a.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 535
  • 77b.jpg
    77b.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 517