Hard cover for LEFT side?

Larry Fine

Country flag
Does anyone know whether there ever was a left-side hard cover for the WJ? I'm thinking of speaker options.

I wonder how hard it would be to disassemble a right-side hard cover, heat it, and make it a left-side cover?

Added: I changed the thread title to LEFT side.

Last edited:

Larry Fine

Country flag
What else? I'd probably want to make a mirror-image mold to shape it to, or rather, over. I imagine it would be impossible to get it shaped right any other way.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
One problem with using a right side cover on the left side is that the right side cover has no texture on the inside...

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I have a right side cover that has a big hole in it where a stereo once resided... I think I have a contestant!

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Fire.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Well... I looked high and I looked low. I'll be damned if I can find that cover, so what to do? Since I have about 5 of them, I picked the next best contestant (the one with the most holes in it...)

If about 15 minutes using nothing but this (and a block of wood - that thing puts out a lot of HEAT on the fingers :mob):

Wagner_Power_Stripper.jpg

I turned one of these:

Untouched.jpg

Into this:

Semi_flat.jpg

From the side...

Semi_flat_side.jpg

The plastic was hot, so I set it aside to cool off for a while. More to follow, but you can see that it is possible.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Excellent. I have a heat gun. The hard part now would be shaping it well. Trial and error seems tedious, but doesn't require making a mold. Maybe a sheet-metal pliers or vise-grip would make a good bending tool.
image_12936.jpg

sheet%20metal%20pliers.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I am going to cut a piece of plywood the same shape as the opening and form it around that using everything I have.