gl1000 bike side mounts

davidj979

Grasshopper
Country flag
I aquired a TP attached to a 1982 gl1100, and want to put it on a 1978 gl1000. I have the lower mounts for the gl1100, which look a lot like the pics posted in 2015 by Riggs. The topmount, and the trim-grip are not original (the trim-grip is actually a short top-link from a tractor).

I am looking for pictures of the top mount for a gl1000. A gl1100 mount would probably work, but the lower rear mount on mine doesn't (though it can be modified I think).
Also pictures of the lower rear mount too. I can install the one I have, but it is only held on by the front bolt (to the front footpeg), and a u-bolt in the middle. I cannot attach the rear of the mount to the rear footpeg, like it was on the gl1100.

And if anybody knows the length of a trim-grip from end to end, that would be handy too.

And as always, any advice is appreciated !

Thanks
David

Last edited:

TexasBulldogger

Grasshopper
Country flag
Evening, David

Getting a chance to go thru the sidehack/Vetter/GL sites for the first time in a while. I currently have an 8 year old 83 Interstate with TP installed last fall. Had a 78 GL1000 and 82 GL1100A with TP. All three brand new back in the day. Never really looked between the two for switching. I can get some dimensions for you tomorrow. I'll dig up my bracket pictures. My trim grip length might be different. There are spacers on the car side brackets to push the car away from the bike. I don't know how I ever rode my 82 with it mounted per Vetter. No room to move my foot around.

Let me know what I can help with. Rick J.

Two"85s"

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
The trim-grip is 9 1/4" center to center. As for the bike side mounts the 1000 upper mount is slightly longer and the lower rear
is just over halve as long as the 1100s. The pics are of 1000 mounts.
P1030195.JPG
P1030197.JPG

Last edited:

davidj979

Grasshopper
Country flag
The trim-grip is 9 1/4" center to center. As for the bike side mounts the 1000 upper mount is slightly longer and the lower rear
is just over halve as long as the 1100s. The pics are of 1000 mounts.
The 1100 lower mount works on the 1000, but the whole back half is just kinda hanging out there !!
I dont have the upper mount. It looks like It attaches to the shock strut? Then u-bolts around the frame?
I will go look tomorrow at whst it could attach too. And any chance of getting a pic of the other side? I know they are not flat.
Thanks for the pics and measurement!

davidj979

Grasshopper
Country flag
Evening, David

Getting a chance to go thru the sidehack/Vetter/GL sites for the first time in a while. I currently have an 8 year old 83 Interstate with TP installed last fall. Had a 78 GL1000 and 82 GL1100A with TP. All three brand new back in the day. Never really looked between the two for switching. I can get some dimensions for you tomorrow. I'll dig up my bracket pictures. My trim grip length might be different. There are spacers on the car side brackets to push the car away from the bike. I don't know how I ever rode my 82 with it mounted per Vetter. No room to move my foot around.

Let me know what I can help with. Rick J.
I think i have the rear lower mount figured out - either cut it down, let it hang, or have it duplicated. It fits good, but is too long.
The lower front fits fine.
But the top is what i am missing.
If you find your pics, i would like to see the top mount. But somebody posted some which should get me started !

Two"85s"

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Davivdj979; The upper mount uses a coupler nut to replace the shock nut. You then bolt the bracket to that and a U bolt.
The mounts I have are available for sale/trade as they don't fit my 1100.

P1030196.JPG
P1030198.JPG
P1030199.JPG

As you can see the upper mount is too long because of where the side cover mounts on the 1100.

davidj979

Grasshopper
Country flag
This is what I cobbled together to mount my terraplane - until I find / build better mounts.
The front mount seems ok.
IMG_0534-3.JPG

The lower rear mount works, but is too long (and needs a bigger u-bolt :) On the 1100, it attaches to the rear footpeg bolt. On the 1000, there is nothing to attach it to-looks kinda funny but works! I think the gl1000 mount just uses the ubolt and the front footpeg bolt, so its almost the same.
IMG_0531-3.JPG

For the upper mount, I used clamps (bike had a velorex on it when I bought it), and built a mount tieing two clamps together (to prevent twisting). its a little lower than the placement of the original mount. The top-link doesn’t adjust without loosening the mounting bolt, but its solid.
IMG_0527-3.JPG

Overall, i am happy with how the mounts work, but not how they look - good thing they aren't too visible :)
It’ll work for a while !
IMG_0523-3-3.JPG
IMG_0544-3-3.JPG

Thanks for all the pics and info.

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Thank you. Without first-hand knowledge it's been hard to visualize just how these mounts are shaped and attach to the frame. Now I can scoop them up at swap meets knowing a bit more what and why!
Enjoy the ride.