Found a Pre 09- Windjammer III

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Now that I have enough projects to keep me busy and being a glutton for punishment, I scored an early pre 09- Windjammer III that is structurally sound but has been exposed for a long time. Serial no. 75618. The white paint is intact yet badly faded. It had the tonneau covers on but they are not serviceable but have kept the inside pristine. The Guide headlight bucket and chrome rim are far gone rusted. The stainless bezel is serviceable. I can find another bucket or modify a '40s GM Guide bucket.

The first III I have found that old with zero cracks.

According to the previous owner, it was on a Honda CB750 and did not have a lot of miles.

Game on!

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Paint it with white Plasti Dip. It will last for many years and it peels off without damage when it's time to refresh it. It comes in lots of other colours as well so you can colour coordinate as well.

Wallcoverings_PlastiDip_500209911203-6_1Splash.jpg

husky385

Learning the Ropes
Is the pre 09 Windjammer III more desirable and why if it is?
I have this one that I am rebuilding to replace the one on my CB1100. It has no cracks. I striped it for new paint.
Another question is there any source for the roman numeral III that you gentlemen know of?
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    862.3 KB · Views: 442

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Is the pre 09 Windjammer III more desirable and why if it is?
I have this one that I am rebuilding to replace the one on my CB1100. It has no cracks. I striped it for new paint.
Another question is there any source for the roman numeral III that you gentlemen know of?
Kevin
Hi Kevin

I would not say it is more desirable than the other III's except for someone looking to collect every model of 'Jammer. I have this faring due to the fact I paid only $20.00 for it.

The pre 09- is not equipped to accept the pocketed tonneau left hand cover. Post 09-'s and later 'Jammers, left outside second from the bottom row of snap studs, and is original have a slightly recessed snap stud when closely inspected has a hexagon base and a more concave socket receiver. That snap stud is a directional snap. It will receive a standard snap but is designed for a directional socket and with that socket, can only be unsnapped by pulling it in the desired direction.

The pocketed tonneau cover if you have seen one and is original will have for the corresponding socket snap for the stud on the faring, a socket with a locking lip known as a directional socket. Holding that socket in place is a gipsy stud. That is then there for the standard snap socket and cap on the pocket flap.

The whole thing was designed so you could unsnap the pocket flap without pulling the entire tonneau cover off.

For the III, visit your local sign maker. Most if not all have the ability to make the III as a transfer appliqué in any color, font or size. If I remember I had mine done in 36 OldCountry italic font.

I hope this is helpful and not too wordy. I am not a Vetter expert, I just enjoy restoring parts to set aside for when my daily rider ’79 XS11 Special needs parts, I can keep it the road as long as I am able to ride. The research I do has filled my knoggen with sometimes useful information.

husky385

Learning the Ropes
Thank you XS11 Yes mine has those snaps you are talking about, it was a learning experience figuring out how they work.
The tonnneau cover is intact it was pretty dull looking, a little saddle soap perked it right up. I got this fairing along with lowers that fit a Goldwing for $30.00. I'm willing to sell or trade them for something that would fit the CB1100 a little better.
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    789.6 KB · Views: 444

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Thank you XS11 Yes mine has those snaps you are talking about, it was a learning experience figuring out how they work.
The tonnneau cover is intact it was pretty dull looking, a little saddle soap perked it right up. I got this fairing along with lowers that fit a Goldwing for $30.00. I'm willing to sell or trade them for something that would fit the CB1100 a little better.
Kevin

That cover with the pocket was for cigarettes. A lighter socket hole was also added to later fairings. This allowed the operator easy access to his pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Back in 60's and 70's when everyone smoked that cover pocket and lighter were very desirable features. A Rider could easily pull a cigarette from that pocket and light it up one handed while riding at speed with no problems at all.

My Windjammer also came with a tonnneau cover pocket but it was in very poor condition. Whoever the original owner was apparently chain smoked because the pocket material was worn out from use. If a pack of cigarettes was put in it they would just fall to the bottom of the fairing and could not be retrieved until the bike was stopped and the cover removed to get to the pack. I attempted to take the tonnneau cover apart but found the vinyl fabric was too rotten to work with. My seam ripper went through the fabric like it was butter. The upholstery thread was tougher than the rotten fabric. I was going to use it as a pattern to make a new tonnneau cover with pocket. As I looked at it in disgust I decided not to replace it with that pocket as I do not smoke. I also wanted a nicer tonnneau cover so I cut one from a scrap piece of real leather. I dyed it black, installed the snaps, and added a couple of straps made of the same leather so it would look like the old vinyl cover. Here is a picture of my no pocket leather cover and a picture of the right side hard cover with it's new leather straps.

S5030057.jpg

S5030058.jpg

husky385

Learning the Ropes
Here are some pics of the fairing and tonneau cover and headlight pieces all intact. I have the metal headlight parts bead blasted and ready to paint. Marker lights are in excellent shape will be able to use when restored.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    728.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    820.1 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    834 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    930.1 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    996.8 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    860.6 KB · Views: 510

husky385

Learning the Ropes
Parts is parts!
Ok then I will clarify ALL of these parts came off of that fairing if that's what you meant.:(
If not then I'm not rich it will take me months to be able afford to have it painted and to buy trim, windshield, graphics and wind shield molding.
Have a good day
Kevin

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Kevin[/QUOTE

Pichler fairing made a very strikingly beautiful fairing that looked as if was made for the CB Honda in line fours. I have not followed them in years but maybe you could find something you need at their sight. I think they were made in Germany.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
I think I can do this gooder -
Pichler fairing made a very strikingly beautiful fairing that looked as if was made for the CB Honda in line fours. I have not followed them in years but maybe you could find something you need at their sight. I think they were made in Germany.

husky385

Learning the Ropes
My apologies; I meant nothing at all. It was merely a comment on the number of items in your pictures. One doesn't realize how many parts there are in a Windjammer until you take one apart.
I apologize to Larry,I know it's not a good excuse, but I'm a little on edge I've been dealing with the county about our property tax.