Cycle sound questions.

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
A couple of queations. The simple one first. The two mounting brackets that go from the speaker to the top clamp bolts of the windscreen, are all that hold the cycle sound inplace? I looked at the manual and thats all I saw....seems like it would move around and vibrate.

Next as I am a gadget freak and like to overthink EVERYTHING. I use bluetooth on my helmet for most (right now all) of my audio pleasures. I want to add a cycle sound for those few times (don't judge) I live reckless and go helmetless and occasionally I can see where it would come in handy. I also would LOVE to be able to listen to music for a little while before or after a ride as I am prepping when I do not have my helmet on. This brings the next question, has anyone connected a time circuit that for example leaves the radio on for 5, 10 or even 15 min after a ride? Has anyone put in a switch where they can turn on the radio w/o the bike being on? I am considering doing one or both. I will have it be able to turn on with the bike but I love the idea of having it on evem if the bike is off.
And finally where have you guys hiden a switch. If the switch is going to turn on the radio with the bike off I would perfer it be hiden or locked so people (who would never touch someone elses things) can't turn it on and when I go to leave the battery is dead.

Pictures of great hiding spots are appreciated.

Larry Fine

Country flag
I wired my stereo sort of like that, but with a twist: I installed a relay that kills my headlight whenever the engine kill-switch is off, so the battery drain is minimal. The stereo, along with the tail-lights, front marker lights, and gauges, are all that have power.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I have a 100 watt audio amplifier from Shark Audio in my left fairing pocket that's connected to my XM Satellite radio. The audio amplifier has an on/off switch and a volume control all of which are inaccessible with the cover in place. I simply mounted a switch that's located behind the left side, side cover with just the switch toggle sticking out so it's easy to turn on and off both the amplifier and Satellite radio. This allows me to turn the radio off so I can use the CB Radio or listen to the GPS giving directions when I'm close to the destination.

If you do install a cycle sound and modern radio in it you could do the same thing. When wiring it up you would install a switch somewhere that’s convenient to use with your left hand while your driving it. It would connect to the wire on the radio that's hot when the ignition switch is on. This normally turns the radio off when the vehicle is turned off. Typically the keyed ignition switch has an accessory position which allows the driver to listen to the radio while the engine is off. There is another wire on the radio that's connected to the battery so the radio's memory is retained. The power requirement for that is very low, so low it would take months to drain even your small motorcycle battery. Wired this way you can turn the radio on and off at will and independent of the ignition switch.

The drawing below is an example of what I'm explaining. At the top of the drawing you see two fuses. The one on the left is labelled hot at all times You would connect that wire directly to the battery via a fuse. The one on the right is labelled Hot in Run or Start. You would connect that wire to your switch, a fuse, and then the battery. When you turn that switch off your radio would turn off completely and when you turn it back on the radios memory will return the radio to exactly what it was doing when the switch was on. This is how my satellite radio operates except it's memory is retained without needing an external power supply. I can unplug my satellite radio from it's shoe on the bike, take it in the house, and plug it into another shoe in the house and it automatically turns back on with the same channel I was listening to on the bike.

silverado-radio-wiring-diagram-yMwCvWE.png

S5030039.jpg

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
Thank you Scott and Larry. I did forget about the bikes parking light position on the ignition switch. That would definitely be the easiest. On my GS it only operates the tail light since the rear trunsignals are 2 wire only and I dont have the front connected. The tail light is an LED too so there would be minimal current for that.
Scott I also have a satellite radio on my bike I don't use it much until I go on longer rides then it's my favorite. Currently I use the FM radio in my headset to pick it up I may do the same with the new radio or I might hardwire it to the radio. The problem with hardwiring it is once you're pluged in to the satellite radio it disables the RF output.

I still have a question about mounting, are the two brackets from the windshield clips it? Also am I supposed to cut the windshield bolts off at the nuts to fit the sound unit in place? The one I have has been drilled (just holes) for two of the bolts the other has not.

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
Thank you Scott and Larry. I did forget about the bikes parking light position on the ignition switch. That would definitely be the easiest. On my GS it only operates the tail light since the rear trunsignals are 2 wire only and I dont have the front connected. The tail light is an LED too so there would be minimal current for that.
Scott I also have a satellite radio on my bike I don't use it much until I go on longer rides then it's my favorite. Currently I use the FM radio in my headset to pick it up I may do the same with the new radio or I might hardwire it to the radio. The problem with hardwiring it is once you're pluged in to the satellite radio it disables the RF output.

I still have a question about mounting, are the two brackets from the windshield clips it? Also am I supposed to cut the windshield bolts off at the nuts to fit the sound unit in place? The one I have has been drilled (just holes) for two of the bolts the other has not.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Early Vetter fairings did not have those 2 windshield clips where the Cycle Sound mounts. They used same nylon screws and nuts just like all the other windshield screws and nuts. Later it was found the top two screws and nuts caused the windshield to break. That's why there are clips now. Those clips can make installing a cycle sound difficult. Instead of using those clips you can substitute 1/4-20 U spring nuts. Auto parts retailers have then as well as any well stocked hardware store. You slide the nut on the windshield just like the clip did and then use 1/4-20 all thread to make a custom length screw that's long enough to go through the U spring nuts, fairing, and the cycle sound mounting brackets. A word of caution about doing this modification. The windshield will not break away the same way the stock windshield clips would do.

A 1/4-20 U spring nut.
008236716184lg.jpg

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I hard wired the audio out to my amplifier as I do not have an FM radio on my bike. I never bothered with one because I don't have a cycle sound to mount one in and today there are simply too many commercials that play on FM radio stations. I guess I'm spoiled by commercial free Satellite Radio. If I ever luck up and find a cycle sound locally I'll buy one but I'll still use my satellite radio most of the time.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
A couple of queations. The simple one first. The two mounting brackets that go from the speaker to the top clamp bolts of the windscreen, are all that hold the cycle sound inplace? I looked at the manual and thats all I saw....seems like it would move around and vibrate.

Depending on which manual you are looking at, some show screws going through some of the lower wind screen mounting holes into the cycles sound enclosure also. I just have the two brackets on mine and they were more than enough to keep it in place for the last 50k miles, but I don't have a very heavy unit in there either.

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
Thanks Brian, I bought a "no mech" unit.... guess I am old didn't know such a thing existed until I saw it here. It is really too much for a bike but I like toys. It has bo mechanism so its about half the size of a normal head unit. Just finished it today now whrn I get my replacement fairing on the bike I'll have this too.
Scott, I use the FM radio more than anything else. Its simple and there is a variety at the touch of a button. The satellite radio just seems to be more effort than I want for short trips but on the long hauls it is my go to. Both my bikes, the busa and the gs850g are setup for it. When I do use the xm it transmits to my helmet via the FM radio so no wires and minimal power. Now that I will have the cycle sound I'll probably use the FM broadcast feature for it too.
Also for me (maybe just xm?) There are almost as many commercials on XM as FM.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Also for me (maybe just xm?) There are almost as many commercials on XM as FM.
The news and talk channels have commercials as well as some re-broadcast FM Radio radio stations that are carried on XM. I only listen to the commercial free channels. My favoured channels are Classic Rewind and Octane. Sometimes I also listen to 70's on 7 and 80's on 8.