Windjammer 4 on a '93 Suzuki GSX1100G

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Hi Folks,

as already postet in my introduction, I'm planning a WJ 4 on my '93 GSX1100G.

As I live in Germany and we have regulations for nearly everything - the first step was to clarify with the local TÜV (those are the guys doing our vehicle tests) whether they want to allow this fairing on my bike.

I had to bring certificates from other bikes with this fairing - luckily I got one from the Kawasaki Z1300. As this bike is slightly "fatter" than my ride I got the OK.

Next step was to get a WJ - and found a BMW with lowers in mint condition. I'll pick up tomorrow. What else: a Cycle sound was missing - by chance there was a WJ with brackets for a Z1300 in bad condition however equipped with cycle sound in ebay.
I got it, too - snd those Z1300 brackets will probably be helpful to make my own brackets. Similar to the Z1300 the GSX1100G has a large radiator mounted to the frame in front of the engine.

Next steps and pictures will follow.

Dieter

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
First tests...

Seems to be possible.

Greetings from Germany

Dieter

Attachments

• IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 586
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 696

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Most modern bikes have forks and gas tanks that are too wide for a Windjammer. Fuel tanks are wider because back in the early 70's when Craig designed the WJ there were a lot more Gas stations around. Small gas tanks were no big deal and cost a lot less to fabricate and they were the prevailing style at that time. Forks were narrow because all bikes back then had drum brakes. Disc brakes require wider fork widths so that's the reason modern bikes have wider fork widths than those early 70's era bikes.

Back then most gas stations did not remain open 24 hours a day. They also did not have a fuel return system on the fill hose that would draw the gasoline back out of the hose to prevent pollution from evaporating gasoline escaping from that fill hose. I would pull into a closed station and drain that remaining gasoline into the gas tank on my moped. The gas tank on that moped only held 2 litres or a little less than 1/2 gallon. It was easy to get a full tank of gas after draining the hoses on 5 or 6 pumps.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Most modern bikes have forks and gas tanks that are too wide for a Windjammer. Fuel tanks are wider because back in the early 70's when Craig designed the WJ there were a lot more Gas stations around. Small gas tanks were no big deal and cost a lot less to fabricate and they were the prevailing style at that time. Forks were narrow because all bikes back then had drum brakes. Disc brakes require wider fork widths so that's the reason modern bikes have wider fork widths than those early 70's era bikes.

Back then most gas stations did not remain open 24 hours a day. They also did not have a fuel return system on the fill hose that would draw the gasoline back out of the hose to prevent pollution from evaporating gasoline escaping from that fill hose. I would pull into a closed station and drain that remaining gasoline into the gas tank on my moped. The gas tank on that moped only held 2 litres or a little less than 1/2 gallon. It was easy to get a full tank of gas after draining the hoses on 5 or 6 pumps.

What do you want to say?

Dieter

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
What do you want to say?

Dieter
Just saying how tough it can be to mount a Windjammer on a modern Bike. It's got to clear the tank and forks and you've got to design and fabricate mounts for it. It can be daunting task.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
OK - I'm with you. Fork is OK, enough clearance. Tank is fat - but when the fairing is back max it ends roughly at the middle of cylinder head. Looking at classic bikes - that's nearly the same.

Last edited:

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
OK - I'm with you. Fork is OK, enough clearance. Tank is fat - but when the fairing is back max it ends roughly at the middle of cylinder bead. Looking at classic bikes - that's nearly the same.
I put a Windjammer on my 2006 Honda Shadow VLX600. It just barely fit. There is only 1/8" clearance for the forks. The tank on my bike is smaller than most as it's a 583cc and Honda used vintage styling reminiscent of early bikes. I can get the air filter off despite the tight fit. The chrome cover will just come off and that gives enough clearance for the rest of it. Then I can easily get at the carburetor if necessary. When I told some of the other Bikers I hang with my plans for a Windjammer I was given they told me my Bike would look horrible with an ugly old fairing mounted on it. Once it was on they all changed their minds. I ended up helping two other VLX600 riders mount Windjammers on their bikes.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Welding day today....working on the brackets...looking good.

Fairing will be in a quite steep angle - but it looks good.

And I could purchase a cycle sound....next step after having the fairing mounted.

Dieter

Dieter

Attachments

• 20170708_184022029_iOS.jpg
    20170708_184022029_iOS.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 20170708_184046820_iOS.jpg
    20170708_184046820_iOS.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 525
  • 20170708_171756772_iOS.jpg
    20170708_171756772_iOS.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 525
  • Cycle Sound.jpg
    Cycle Sound.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 541

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Bracket is ready - Windjammer fits. Now painting of bracket, electrical installation, lowers and cycle sound
20170714_190549448_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20170714_191031448_iOS.jpg
    20170714_191031448_iOS.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 498
  • 20170714_191432696_iOS.jpg
    20170714_191432696_iOS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 541

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Bracket is ready - Windjammer fits. Now painting of bracket, electrical installation, lowers and cycle soundView attachment 2464
That looks great! Once you start riding it with that Windjammer be ready for all sorts of questions and comments about it. Things like "Who makes and sells those and where can I get one?" or "I didn’t know Suzuki made a touring version of the GSX1100." Then you'll have the occasional old biker that knows what it is and wants to tell you all about the good times he had on his old bike that had a Windjammer. Another thing that might happen is someone will come up to you and ask if that's your bike with the Windjammer on it. When it happened to me I said yes. He then told me he had the matching Vetter saddlebags and would take $25 for them if I wanted them. Needless to say I bought and mounted them on my bike. Having a Windjammer on bike will always cause people to look at your bike and talk to you about it because there are few bikes sporting them these days.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Hello guys,

last weekend I got the WJ4 mounted on my bike. Just some minor issues to be done like new horns, better adjustment, modifying electrical circuits.

SN is 37-494270

Vetter plug became replaced by a 12 pin Deutsch connector, headlight power now switched by 12V relais.

Had the first ride of about 150km yesterday - great!

But need to cut the windscreen by about 5-10cm (2-4in).

Could anybody give me some idea how to cut the windscreen best?

Dieter

Attachments

• 20170805_175212236_iOS.jpg
    20170805_175212236_iOS.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 553
  • 20170805_171823096_iOS.jpg
    20170805_171823096_iOS.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 508
  • 20170729_110815355_iOS.jpg
    20170729_110815355_iOS.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 522

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Hello guys,

last weekend I got the WJ4 mounted on my bike. Just some minor issues to be done like new horns, better adjustment, modifying electrical circuits.

SN is 37-494270

Vetter plug became replaced by a 12 pin Deutsch connector, headlight power now switched by 12V relais.

Had the first ride of about 150km yesterday - great!

But need to cut the windscreen by about 5-10cm (2-4in).

Could anybody give me some idea how to cut the windscreen best?

Dieter
Tape it both sides with masking tape to prevent scratching it and it allows marking a cut line. A band saw is the best tool for cutting it. A jig saw will also work but extreme care must be taken when cutting as the blade can become hot and melt the plastic, which will cause problems and more work dressing up the cut line. The reason for that is a band saw blade is much larger and so dissipates the heat rapidly. The jig saw blade is tiny and heats up on both strokes. If you do not have a band saw drop by a woodworking shop and ask if they will trim your shield. Have it taped and ready to go when you ask. Most Glass shops sell Lexan and have will have a band saw for cutting it. For a few bucks they will be happy to cut your shield and dress up the edge on a belt sander.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Did the first 2000km with the fairing - have already been at the North Pole;) - great riding.

Passed the technical examination - and now my bike is totally legal for Germany:rad

Attachments

• 20170823_093721741_iOS.jpg
    20170823_093721741_iOS.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 501
  • 20170818_090113801_iOS.jpg
    20170818_090113801_iOS.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 497

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
And the saddle bags are mine....

One bag needs to be repaired or replaced - then the bike will get a new colour - a fresh and friendy black finish :D

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Hi Folks,

as already postet in my introduction, I'm planning a WJ 4 on my '93 GSX1100G.

As I live in Germany and we have regulations for nearly everything - the first step was to clarify with the local TÜV (those are the guys doing our vehicle tests) whether they want to allow this fairing on my bike.

I had to bring certificates from other bikes with this fairing - luckily I got one from the Kawasaki Z1300. As this bike is slightly "fatter" than my ride I got the OK.

Next step was to get a WJ - and found a BMW with lowers in mint condition. I'll pick up tomorrow. What else: a Cycle sound was missing - by chance there was a WJ with brackets for a Z1300 in bad condition however equipped with cycle sound in ebay.
I got it, too - snd those Z1300 brackets will probably be helpful to make my own brackets. Similar to the Z1300 the GSX1100G has a large radiator mounted to the frame in front of the engine.

Next steps and pictures will follow.

Dieter
Wow, the regulations are crazy! I am glad you were able to get by them. I hope those types of regulations never happen here in the US. Although its getting bad, and we don't seem to be getting fewer.

Thanks for the images, bike looks great.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Now working on the saddle bags. Not easy to find the best possition and get it stable enough...need to add some more reinforcements and connectors.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 518

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Due to a crack in the frame latch where the fairing bracket is fixed, I had to repair and reinforce the latch. Additionally I added two more mounts to the bracket.

I used some old brackets I had purchased in the past to cut the necessary parts from - and welded it together after some bending.

Dieter

And a happy new year to everybody!

Attachments

• Rahmenbruch.jpg
    Rahmenbruch.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 460
  • Zusatzhalter am Mopped.jpg
    Zusatzhalter am Mopped.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Zusatzhalter.jpg
    Zusatzhalter.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 466

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
On the way to a full vetterized colormatching bike....

Attachments

• Schleifteile.jpg
    Schleifteile.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 449