Heres a pic of my 1980 GS1000G

Attachments

• bike 2.png
    bike 2.png
    686.8 KB · Views: 2,466

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I already have MBS... I don't need it any more than I already have it, but my first bike was a GS... I migrated to the GL late in life, so I have a soft spot for GS's. :)

BobsSuziGS

Grasshopper
I've got the lil brother to that one- '80 GS850G....12k on her, so she's barely half broke in {according to another Dave I know, on a GS site;)}.
Wish she was the 1000G, but I haven't swung a leg over since '95....I'll ease back into it with this one, then maybe a 1000.

Seth Matthews

Vetter Aficionado
my first bike was a GS 550, that was a fun bike, had plenty of power for a beginner, I love the 1,000 but I wish it were a 6 speed. cruising at 75 on the highway I have to take my feet off the highway pegs cause of the vibration at high rpm.

GreggS

Grasshopper
Country flag
my first bike was a GS 550, that was a fun bike, had plenty of power for a beginner, I love the 1,000 but I wish it were a 6 speed. cruising at 75 on the highway I have to take my feet off the highway pegs cause of the vibration at high rpm.
When I bought my 80 1000, the dealer had two - one in black and the other in blue. I choose black, but later had buyers remorse. I really like that blue!
Anyway, my previous bike - a 74 GT 380 (two stroke) had a 6 speed and that worked well. But at around 77, the government changed the national speed limit to 55 from 70 on the interstates. The 6 speed became a pain because it wouldn't cruise at the speed limit. So, I traded to the GS1000 which was geared correctly for 55. That's why the speedometer was mandated to highlight 55 and stops at 85 - stupid! My GS1000 was clocked in excess of 130 (before Vetter stuff added). Today, like you, I wish it was geared a little differently, but it is what it is. However, I don't have excess vibration at 75. It may be because my service manager made some changes to the ignition system that improved the power band, but I don't know. I blame the Feds! Enjoy.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I had exactly the same feeling about the GS850s - they always felt as if they would be happier with a higher top gear, but I've got used to it over the years. I think the GS1100G rear drive will swap and provide a 5% reduction in engine revs, but all gears will be affected then, and the other gears are fairly perfectly placed for me. It is what it is, as you say.
Fwiw, the GSs days as long-distance cruisers are over now, and I use the XJ900 for that duty, so it's not really a problem any more.

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
I would love another gear on my GS850G, but she seems quite happy cruising at 75 80. I am even taking her (at least thats the plan) on an 1800 mile adventure Monday. The 850 has a little vibration at speeds but a throttle lock (poor boy's cruise) and its very easy to deal with.

Seth Matthews

Vetter Aficionado
I'm told the rear tire on mine is smaller than it should be, this could have a lot to do with the high rpm on the highway

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
The factory sized OEM tyre was roughly equivalent to a 120/90 x 17, but everybody fitted a 130/90x17 as soon as they could, for that bit extra rubber and tyre life. I've tried a 140, but only once, and most 140s will rub the swingarm.
Otoh, the good news is that radial rears in adventure treads (not knobblies) are available and the bike responds really well to them, cornering as if on rails. Those in 130/80x17 are a natural match for it, and closely suit the original factory gearing too, so no real downside.

Last edited:

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
130/90x17 is the one I have on my Z1000ST as standard fitment, do you think a 140 would make much of an improvement if it would fit? although I can't seem to find a supplier that does a 140/90 in a 17 they all seem to be 15 or 16 now.

GreggS

Grasshopper
Country flag
FWiW, I've been really happy with Continental for several years and put a set of ContiGo's on last year and they are great in the wet . Going through WV, I dragged the center stand on my GS! The rear is a 130/90x17 and I see a 140/80 is available, buy I don't think in would fit. The 130 is somewhat wider than the OEM and its tight!