1982 Suzuki GS550L - Bags, Trunk, and Windjammer installed!

alabamatom69

Grasshopper
Country flag
Some photos of the freshly installed vintage bags on my vintage bike.

I bought this 1982 Suzuki GS550L motorcycle a few years ago from someone in Kentucky. I don’t remember exactly, but I paid around $100-$200 for it. It was all there except that it appeared that the previous owner had been in a small wreck and had taken the bike apart but never put it back together. It was literally a “basket case” complete with a box full of loose parts. I worked to get it back together and have had many wonderful adventures, taken lots of great pictures and videos, and had one terrifying accident on this bike. I have loved it exactly the way it was, but I always wanted a little more. I had a dream of creating my perfect vintage adventure bike by finding vintage accessories like removable saddlebags, maybe a trunk, maybe a fairing. I wouldn't be able to afford these things, but a guy can dream.

Well a few weeks ago, my best buddy Josh told me he had a surprise for me and to be sure my back seat was empty. Josh had gone and found a set of bags. (The very same set I missed on Facebook marketplace - another cool story) The current owner was a friend of Josh’s and was downsizing. He GAVE me the bags and the trunk, and while I was there, he GAVE me the fairing as well! Everything I wanted for my bike, all the right color, all proper accessories for a 1982 model bike! Josh even made sure I had what I needed to install them on my bike.

I spent my free time over the last couple of weeks getting everything mounted and was able to take the bike out for a ride today and show Josh what he had been responsible for. It may not seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but my wife and I have been through an awful lot the last couple of years with her cancer (https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/aubreyblizzard/journal), so I am thrilled to have this bike as a diversion, and even more thrilled to have a great friend to share it with!

1982 Suzuki GS550L with Windjammer and Vetter Bags.jpg
1982 Suzuki GS550L Windjammer SS with CycleSound.jpg
1982 Suzuki GS550L  Complete Vetter Bags package.jpg

drttrkderrick

Grasshopper
Country flag
That's awesome man! Looks great! I too was given a Windjammer fairing, and 2 trunks by a buddy of mine for my 1983 gs650! I ended up buying a set of bags & mounts off the same guy for $150.

KGBnut

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
That look terrific. Nice Job. I have a 1978 Suzuki GS550 (not the L version). I was never able to find correct saddlebag brackets for mine, but rather had to adapt a set from a later model. Are your bracket made for your bike, or did you need to modify them?

Ken

Attachments

• 2019-08-30 15.58.55.jpg
    2019-08-30 15.58.55.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 103

alabamatom69

Grasshopper
Country flag
That look terrific. Nice Job. I have a 1978 Suzuki GS550 (not the L version). I was never able to find correct saddlebag brackets for mine, but rather had to adapt a set from a later model. Are your bracket made for your bike, or did you need to modify them?

Ken
I modified them. I got a brand new-in-the-box set of saddlebag mounts for a Kawasaki KZ650 and had to barely modify to fit perfectly. I got lucky. The fairing bracket was a similar story. The eBay ad said "I don't know what it fits, but it WON'T fit my Suzuki 1100" - It fit my 550 perfectly though.

drttrkderrick

Grasshopper
Country flag

Ken
That's a damn nice bike man!

I believe the mounts I used were off an old goldwing. The brackets that are supposed to mount the rack that the trunk mounts don't fit, they're too narrow.