Winter Project for my GL1100

gr@vlw@rr

Grasshopper
A couple months ago I picked up these Vetter trunks for just the price of shipping - I also ended up getting this tow hitch as well. So now I have a winter project. I'm going to try to restore these and see how they fit on my '81 GL1100. I already know I am missing one piece from the mounting hardware, and if I like the look I guess I'll probably need front fairings as well.

IMG_20200930_212309~2.jpgIMG_20201213_133011~2.jpg

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
A couple months ago I picked up these Vetter trunks for just the price of shipping - I also ended up getting this tow hitch as well. So now I have a winter project. I'm going to try to restore these and see how they fit on my '81 GL1100. I already know I am missing one piece from the mounting hardware, and if I like the look I guess I'll probably need front fairings as well.

View attachment 2999View attachment 3000
You'll want a Windjammer to go with those bags and trunk. I did a lot of work to mount a Windjammer fairing, bags, and trunk on my 2006 Honda VLX 600. I ride mine year round which is a lot easier to do with a bike fitted out with Vetter Touring gear. That stuff is still better than the factory built touring bikes made today.
I see you have an original "naked" GL1100. They came in 3 flavors. Naked, faired and bagged, and fully loaded with all bells and whistles. One thing to check is the connector behind the left side cover a couple of inches to the left of the battery. They are known to get hot and melt which results in shorting two or all three of the yellow wires together, which will burn up the stator. Changing out the stator is a PITA and expensive even when you do the work yourself. Most people cut the wires and solder them together and keep them separated from each other with a wood dowel and plastic tie straps.

gr@vlw@rr

Grasshopper
Thanks. Yeah, I'm still debating with myself on whether or not I want to add the bags or keep it naked. I like it the way it is, but I would like to be able to take some longer trips on it. My plan would be to just go through the trouble of installing the bags when I wanted to journey - then I realized I'd probably need fairings to deal with the wind. The two hook was kind of a bonus.

Is your advice about checking the wires general or related to installing fairings and bags?

Edit to add: One thing I am not yet clear on is whether I'll need to replace the seat to get the trunk on. I thought I read somewhere that the seats on the naked were a bit bigger or farther back, making it harder to mount the trunk. But I also can't remember if I read that about the difference between the '81 the '83 - don't know if you'd know.

Last edited:

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Is your advice about checking the wires general or related to installing fairings and bags?
Those stator wires and connector are an issue on all GL-1100 and GL-1200 Goldwings. The fairing and bags have no impact on that common problem. Most of them burn up at around 50,000 miles + or -. Back in the day their was a "Poor Boy alternator kit" you could purchase on Ebay that would allow you to drive a small automotive alternator from the crankshaft after modifying it with a special made pulley and brackets welded to the fairing frame. You did not need to completely strip your Goldwing to remove the engine and replace the burned up stator. You just cut those 3 yellow wires close to where they came out of the engine and leave the dead stator in place. Just google " goldwing poor boy alternator kit" to find many pages of information and pictures. Honda eventually redesigned the engine to do the same thing driving the alternator from the rear of the engine where the stator used to be so changing a bad alternator became an easy job. Burning up the stator in the older Goldwings would cost so much to have a shop do it for you ended up costing more then the bike was worth as it would be well out of warranty by the time it happened.
file.jpg

gr@vlw@rr

Grasshopper
@Scott-E Thanks for the tip! I'll keep an eye out for this and maybe I'll tackle it in one of my next projects. I'm currently also replacing the rear brake lines, rebuilding the caliper, and either cleaning or replacing the master cylinder - the brakes kept locking up when they got hot and I couldn't figure out why. Timing belt is also on the list. As is testing/replacing the fan motor since that seems to have stopped working on me.

@AVetterXS I will try to keep you guys updated on my progress. This isn't my only project though as I'm also working on a '83 Porsche 944. The goal would be to have it done by summer though.

Two"85s"

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Welcome,
Move the timing belt to the top of the list unless you like replacing bent valves!

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Like many parts on many bikes, if you don't know the age of your GL's timing belts....they're too old.

gr@vlw@rr

Grasshopper
Also, I come to find out that that hitch is not part of the Vetter package and I don't think I'll want it. Where could I look to selling it?