UK MOT Test lighting requirements for Vetter Windjammer SS

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Just had my other bike put through its yearly test and asked the MOT tester about my Kawasaki with the Vetter SS fairing as regards lighting requirements.
He said that the UK law states that if the motorcycle has "always on" main head lights as many newer bikes such as my Honda have there is no requirement for an additional low power front side light. If as with my older Kawasaki there is a switch for the lights including side lights then one must be fitted and working, it must be a front facing white light and the Amber turn signals used as day lights on the Vetter are not acceptable for this use.
I then decided to try to fit the original Kawasaki "Stanley" light unit to the SS as this has a side light bulb facility and found that the plastic shell behind the headlight on the SS does not have enough clearance to allow the light unit with additional bulb holder to sit in situ. I now need to fit an additional white front facing light ready for the MOT test.
I know this is only applicable to UK Vetter owners but thought the information on the MOT requirements and restricted space in the Vetter headlight shell may be useful to anyone fitting a fairing in the UK.

AspectOne

Grasshopper
I have an idea, but without knowing more about UK regs than I do and being new here will wait for others to respond.... do not wish to seem ignorant.

Larry Fine

Country flag
I have an idea, but without knowing more about UK regs than I do and being new here will wait for others to respond.... do not wish to seem ignorant.
Don't let that stop you. If there's a reason your idea doesn't work, you may have a solution to that hitch.

AspectOne

Grasshopper
Well it would sound as if an always on LED light bar at the bottom of the fairing with set od square LED turn indicators would fit the bill if the were keyed to come on with bike yes?

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Thanks for that and is similar to what I had planned, I have now just had delivered a white led light bar which I plan to mount off the front brake pipe splitter bracket, the indicators will be left as standard Vetter with just the running light feed to the second lamp filement disconnected.

Larry Fine

Country flag
... the indicators will be left as standard Vetter with just the running light feed to the second lamp filement disconnected.
You could parallel both filaments for the turn signal, giving you a slightly brighter front blinker. That could reduce "I didn't see your turn signal" situations, especially with extra forward-facing driving lighting..

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Will try that out, not sure how it will effect flash rate of indicators with additional loading, will let you know.

Larry Fine

Country flag
A heavy-duty flasher (such as used when pulling a trailer) does not vary the flash rate with different load currents.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
I will look into that mine is the standard 1980 Kawasaki one at the moment and the flash rate already doubles when you use the hazard lght switch.