The WJ5 is going on the Nighthawk after all!

Larry Fine

Country flag
Okay, pics:

(Again, y'all know they're clickable thumbnails, right?)

150820_002.jpg 150820_003.jpg 150820_004.jpg 150820_008.jpg 150820_007.jpg 150820_009.jpg 150820_010.jpg

Larry Fine

Country flag
Thanks!

The left-side cover fits perfectly, and it actually seems that a little less could have been trimmed (most likely done at the factory when new) at the bottom-rear tip. The side panel hugs the cylinders and carbs as expected.

The right-side cover does need a bit of trimming, because the tip hits the clutch cover (see first pic above, where the chrome trim ends behind the timing cover). It holds the side panel away from the engine and carbs a bit.

It's also quite warm with the lowers on!

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Looks good! Now you just need to color match everything to your bike. The bike has a nice shape and it would flow together so so well.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Danke.

I removed the lowers a few days ago. What a difference it makes, as in the ride being cooler (and the highway foot-pegs usable), and makes me appreciate how much warmer cool-weather riding will be with them back on.

Now I can do a bit of trimming on the right-side lower, and look into painting them.

Carguy1959

Grasshopper
Hey Larry, I have to say, great job. I have a 2014 Honda CB1100 I am planing on putting a Windjammer on. It came off a 77 Kawasaki, I have a mount for a 78 CB750, I think. I haven't striped the bike yet , just looking and measuring. Right now my big obstacle is the oil cooler. I think I can move it out of the way of the mount. The brackets look very close to fitting on the frame, minor tweaking.
That's all for now.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Thanx for the kudos. I presume you've read through this thread, but I didn't post every detail.

For example, I made cuts in one flange of the angle-iron cross-member of the mount to bend tabs away to clear the oil-cooler bolt heads. Otherwise, with the addition of the rubber-hose spacers, the oil cooler fit through the window just fine.

I had considered relocating the oil-cooler mounting to new holes I'd have to drill and tap in the flange of the mount itself, but what I did was much easier. It leaves the bike itself functionally intact, making fairing and mount removal easier later.

The '78 was the last year of the SOHC engine; a mount from a DOHC engine starting in '79 may be a better fit. As long as you have the mount and the bike in front of you, you can figure it out. My mount (and WJ5) came from an '82 750 K.

Carguy1959

Grasshopper
Thanx for the kudos. I presume you've read through this thread, but I didn't post every detail.

For example, I made cuts in one flange of the angle-iron cross-member of the mount to bend tabs away to clear the oil-cooler bolt heads. Otherwise, with the addition of the rubber-hose spacers, the oil cooler fit through the window just fine.

I had considered relocating the oil-cooler mounting to new holes I'd have to drill and tap in the flange of the mount itself, but what I did was much easier. It leaves the bike itself functionally intact, making fairing and mount removal easier later.

The '78 was the last year of the SOHC engine; a mount from a DOHC engine starting in '79 may be a better fit. As long as you have the mount and the bike in front of you, you can figure it out. My mount (and WJ5) came from an '82 750 K.
After looking at the add where I bought the mount it didn't say what year. I have attached a photo, maybe you can help me figure out what year it is from. Thanks
image.jpeg

Larry Fine

Country flag
No, but I can tell that it's the "other type" as compared to mine. My round tubes ran from side to side, not front to back like yours. (see pics in starting post of this thread)

Because of my exhaust pipes being higher in the frame than the 80's models, I had to cut away the lower crossing tubes, effectively turning my mount into one like yours.

The important thing is that the four saddles fit snugly to the frame tubes before hose-clamping. That's where the tube cutting, bolt-head notching, and the rubber cushions came into play.

Do read and see more of the pics I've posted if you haven't already. I tried to detail that which was different from the typical right-mount-for-the-bike installation.

Last edited:

Michael Pockat

Grasshopper
I was wondering if I am able to fit these new universal head lights into my Vetter fairing?there much brighter then the original light in it if so we're would I start? Thank you
Mike