My Vetter Build 6 years in the making.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
I have a 1978 GL1000 with Vetter fairing. That is all it had when I got the bike It had the rack for the rear. Now it has the trunk bags radio catty. Looking for some lowers. But not really needed. Everything is in primer. Going for the Midnight Blue. Also have a trunk not sure what year it is. Or even if it is a true Vetter Trunk It's solid white ridged lid and bottom.. It came with the mounting rack and it has little round turn signal lights. (they are heavy). Looking to sell it the trunk, with the luggage rack and the little lights the bag looks like the 1 listed here in the photos The white bike with the whits bags that are on a 1100 I think. I have spent a few grand on this bike in the last months. have a look thus far.. (first) picture is before anything was done to my bike other than keeping it running. (2) is the first thing I painted on it. (3) Is my E-by find. (4) this was done with a puff can, and was polished with a 3,4, inch wheel with jewelry compound.(5) lit up from the rear. Going to switch to LED lights because of the draw. Working running/break lights. (6) side view of the bags' picked them up with the white trunk, mounting,winkers.. (they are 4sale/trade (winkers round small style with mounting and trunk) (7) Early mount style/bracketless. (8) found this marking under the foam tape, not sure what it means.(9) As of today 3/8/14. Going to invest in the Vetter logo decals. I need to get the trunk male and female plugs to wire it up correct. I have the wires pulled through the hole nicey nicey but not the same look.. Hope you enjoy going to post after it is assembled..
2013-07-13 17.10.32.jpg
2013-08-04 22.54.13.jpg
2014-02-20 23.57.47.jpg
2014-02-23 14.32.03.jpg
2014-02-23 19.44.05.jpg
2014-02-26 12.18.24.jpg
2014-02-26 13.25.23.jpg
2014-03-07 17.28.06.jpg
painting.jpg

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Be that I'm out of color. I will polish the front tubes, an color the inner rotor back black. Thank you, It truly is ^ years in the making.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
I will be looking into a decal an stripe it. One set at a time.. That gets $$$.00 As some most know. I put 5G's in my boat Some many years ago..

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
there painted with a high temp paint not engine paint, Grill paint. it covers better and when it heats up it gets harder. Plus its cheep enough to just soap an water wash for a respray..

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Man Paul, that engine looks clean! It is indeed coming along nicely!

Thanks I am tryn to do my best. the cool thing is I can touch it up every now and again. Not a big deal to do it. But sure was alot of knock down to get it like this I'm sure you know ALL About It.. Ugh... lol

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
there painted with a high temp paint not engine paint, Grill paint. it covers better and when it heats up it gets harder. Plus its cheep enough to just soap an water wash for a respray..

How does it hold up and did you have to do anything special to the chrome before painting it?

I previously painted the chrome pipes of my floorboards and they looked great when first done, but a few months later they didn't look so good due to small pieces of gravel striking them. I primed it, but I did not use any self etching primer to do it.

I am getting ready to pull the motor to replace the ignition, so while it it out, I am going to be doing a lot of other things to it. Repainting those parts and polishing some aluminum is high on my list of things to do.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
Well, I used 80 grit flap wheel then 120 flap wheel. It didn't really take that long. No primer. Not sure if it would work with the paint. But it stays (hard). I ran it they look fine. Heat them up before you got riding .. Just like a grill. There old and mine come off really fast If i need to do them again, it has been a year. Chips yea some tiny ones. but not like enamel paint not alot of them either. I just hit them up the color lays flat so you don't see the re-touch. I think the hotter the paint gets to max temp the better it cures.. Now I recoated them and they look richer. The Aluminum on the other hand. That was slow work to prep them, paper before the wheel polish. Took some time, Sounds like a good plan you have tho, for sure..

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Paul, are you talking about the exhasut pipes or the engine crash guards that you painted with the grill paint?

I am asking about the engine crach guards: what did you do to those?

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
I jus wiped them down and shot rite over the chrome, wire wheeled them, shot it on there..
Alot of work and there round .. so its old what they hey. I ride it daily when its running...

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I know what you mean. I am considering repainting the tupperwear on my bike also, so if I do it, I am going full bore! I just have to be done with it by July.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
After looking back at the crash guards, they sure do look good. I would swear they are powder coated they look so nice. Great job again Paul. Clean, clean, clean.