Restoring Aluminum To Stock

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I have a couple of questions. I have been reading about how to get motorcycle parts back to stock looking. For instance forks, crankcase covers, carbs, etc.

I know you can polish parts, but how do you get them to stock looking?

I read about vapor blasting, zinc coating, anodizing, clearing, cadmium coating.

Does anybody have experience with this stuff? I know stock forks don't look polished new, they are kinda dull, and have some coating on them that always seems to be halfway off on older bikes. What is that coating? and how would you put it back?

Any info would be great.

AspectOne

Grasshopper
For the most part when restoring Goldings/.... sand or media blast the part, then paint with a special silver made to look like original then clear coat

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I'm not anal about it - a wire-brushed alloy fork leg or casing is better than a corroded and manky one, to me.
After w.brushing, I may give the part a coat of car body wax and buff it, if I'm feeling particularly zestful. Next time that casing / leg / whatever is off I'll probably do the same, if it needs it.
To me, alloy cases look natural if they have a slightly used look, and a film of oil or wax just enhances that. Not polish - I don't mind seeing the work of others, but I simply cba polishing my own.
This stuff has been raved about by a few, but it's unobtainable here. If you try it, let us know how it goes... http://wizardsproducts.com/motorcycle-power-seal-8-oz/

Last edited:

Alan 63

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Scrub, sand , and polish , with a polishing wheel and compound, then a wax to keep it shiny...
The wax will dull the shine a bit , but protect it and keep it from getting really dull.
I'm planning to do my fork lowers over the winter, since I also plan to repaint the painted parts.
Minus the frame that is