Mounting brackets for a Windjammer SS on a 750 Maxim

Uxbridge Brule

Grasshopper
Country flag
Looking for help with fabricating mounting brackets for a 1983 750 Maxim. I looking for pictures of how the brackets mount to the frame. I know they are all different but most pictures I can find are off a bike or just a side view. I can see how they mount to the down tubed but where the cross beam mounts has me wondering. I'm sure most UJM's are similar so any good pictures would help

AntelopeSam

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi
Uxbridge? Are you UK?

Sorry for my crude images. My mount was off a Honda or some sort apparently (not a goldwing) and it clamped to the frame tubes at the front.
I made some extensions to fit it to my GS850g as you can see (after 3 different mounting attempts this is rock solid!). I didn't want only jubilee clips holding it on like most mounts you see for sale.

The original 850g mount had an obtuse angled cross rail with holes in it, and then 2 U clamps mounting the the same section of frame mine uses.

Hope this helps even a little!
Sam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220311-182240_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-182240_Photos.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20220311-182214_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-182214_Photos.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20220311-182148_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-182148_Photos.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 107

Uxbridge Brule

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi
Uxbridge? Are you UK?

Sorry for my crude images. My mount was off a Honda or some sort apparently (not a goldwing) and it clamped to the frame tubes at the front.
I made some extensions to fit it to my GS850g as you can see (after 3 different mounting attempts this is rock solid!). I didn't want only jubilee clips holding it on like most mounts you see for sale.

The original 850g mount had an obtuse angled cross rail with holes in it, and then 2 U clamps mounting the the same section of frame mine uses.

Hope this helps even a little!
Sam
Not in the UK but in Uxbridge Ontario Canada. Love the pictures that helps alot this is my first attempt at adding a Windjammer and I was unsure of the hose clamps too. I'm a welder by trade so I'm going to go with a mount like yours love it. Thanks! Once the temp goes above 0°C next week I will be out in the garage doing some fabrication.
Ian

AntelopeSam

Grasshopper
Country flag
I bought a welder to learn and this was my first project. I'm sure yours will look better than mine! If you go on the Craig Vetter website there are loads of homemade mounts to take inspiration from too.

I'm doing a full resto on this bike currently, including having the frame powder coated. I'll be adding some cut up rubber hose between the clamps & frame for protection.

I currently have some PVC waste pipe painted black to protect the frame from the jubilee clips too, crude but it works for now

Uxbridge Brule

Grasshopper
Country flag
I bought a welder to learn and this was my first project. I'm sure yours will look better than mine! If you go on the Craig Vetter website there are loads of homemade mounts to take inspiration from too.

I'm doing a full resto on this bike currently, including having the frame powder coated. I'll be adding some cut up rubber hose between the clamps & frame for protection.

I currently have some PVC waste pipe painted black to protect the frame from the jubilee clips too, crude but it works for now
Welding is practice, practice, practice, when I started an angle grinder was my best friend. When I get the faring mounts and the bike done I will add some pictures. I'm doing more of a ruff rebuild of this bike and have another bike that gets the wax and shine treatment. This is the starting point when I got it, it had no mufflers and was loud a hell. Did SS brake lines, fork seals, mufflers and fuse box then the wife bought me a newer bike because she didn't think an 1983 was reliable.

Attachments

• 20190506_141242.jpg
    20190506_141242.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 110