XS11 Cam Chain Tensioner

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
After selling my pops my XS11 he found the cam chain tensioner to be cracked and leaking oil. I know this is a problem with all the XS models and the tensioner has been and point of issue.

Do the XS fellows on here know if there was a solution to these? Are there better aftermarket versions?

Thanks for any info.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
What I and a number of other XS11 riders have done is to replace the stock manual cam chain tensioner with an automatic tensioner. Mine came from an ’85 or so Yamaha V-Max. There are several models that will interchange with the XS11. You can find used ones on ebay.

If you are not a member of xs11.com, check it out and you will find a wealth of information on the subject.

Mine bolted on with a new gasket. Some have said the bolt holes of the tensioner needed to be filed out some but mine did not.

If you go that way, remember, the 19mm spring/plunger plug on the tensioner torques at 25 foot pounds.

The automatic does not have the rubber isolator where it pushes on the chain scuffer and you may experience more cam chain noise, mine was not much.

Good luck.