TP ad/brochure added to the gallery

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Not too tech savy when it comes to sending pics. The pictures I added to the gallery today seem okay, but the text is not so clear. Let me know if there is a better way to send or perhaps attach as pdf so text is clear to read. Interesting that ABS is mentioned in the brochure along with fiberglass suggesting that the company would build with two material options and that I think would have been an expensive way to go. It seems strange to me that they would suggest that. I think they only ever went with fiberglass in the end. That re-occurring foggy image is cool. Must be a good story behind that photo shoot. I think I have opened up the album to any member who wants to add more TP ads. Mike

trikebldr

Learning the Ropes
Hi, Mike!
I was wondering about the ABS version, too! It's a totally different process to make up the body, so it would be like doing a whole new sidecar. I've only ever seen the fiberglass versions. What's very interesting to me is that the upper half of the body was done in a female mold, while the lower half is done in a male mold. It works! And, I like the resultant contrasts in the aesthetics. Smooth and glossy on the top part on the outside and rough on the bottom section where all the crud hits, then smooth to the touch on some interior parts where you see it, but rough and durable on the underside of the inside area.

I do question their optimistically low weight data listed though. I haven't actually weighted mine yet, but 190lbs seems a bit low. That would be a very light sidecar and not at all suitable for a bike as heavy as mine, but the combination has proven to be ideal so far. I do carry a 114lb ballast weight when I don't have a passenger, though. I don't think ANY sidecar is safe without either some ballast or a passenger, no matter what it weighs. Well, maybe except for a Vespa scooter pulling a fully equipped Hannigan sidecar! .........IF..........it could pull it!

Your ad is the only one I have ever seen for the TP. I have the same one in my TP folder. I've only ever seen pics of the TP prototype, but I don't think they ever published a brochure for it.

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Never thought about the male/female mold aspect, but yes it does work for a number of good reasons. Another aspect I can explain to curious folks at bike shows - thanks! Re: ballast, I have been adding about 70 lbs. of sand ballast and my dog sits on top of it on a blanket - she weighs 50 lbs. I have not had any major problems with any right hand cornering, but I have been extremely careful as last summer was my first experience with a sidecar. I did practice lifting the sidecar as suggested in a few manuals so as not to be surprised when it does happen. It did lift a bit on me once unintentionally when I braked harder than I had planned in an intersecton to turn down a street. The practice I had done paid off as I did not go into panic mode! I did forget to put the ballast in for a few days of solo riding and did not experience any problems thanks to the weight of the sidecar, but it does feel more solid with it in.

trikebldr

Learning the Ropes
Good to hear you're gaining some good experience without mishaps! Considering the bike you have compared to mine, sounds like you have a good amount of "ballast" with your dog and sand. A Voyager is 960lbs and they are notorious for being top-heavy with their 7.5gal. tank on top, plus their huge fairing full of electronics! So, my bike is constantly trying to flip over in right turns compared to most. My first sidecar was Motorvation Spyder, first on a '76 Gold Wing, then on my '83 Voyager. HUGE difference in handling between the two rigs. Almost felt like I was re-learning to ride a sidecar rig on the Voyager. The Gold Wings are just opposite the Voyagers in that they are very well designed with a very low center of gravity.
At the 1985 sidecar rally three of us were just BS'ing about how many rigs we figured are destroyed by over-confident newbies crashing, then we talked about how can a rider safely learn what a lift feels likes and when will it start on his particular rig. TRAINING WHEEL! Yes! A fourth wheel to the left! There are several dynamics involved in the placement of that wheel, but it's just a bunch of logic and a very simple design. My final version for the Voyager had a three-strut frame with a perch for my castered wheel to bolt to. I used an old surplus 8" pneumatic wheel on a caster frame, intended for those old single-wheeled trailers that were so popular back in the '50's. The frame just has to attach at three points ON THE BIKE'S FRAME. The tire has to be high enough off the ground to allow the bike's suspension to compress normally, plus to clear a few speed-bumps. The farther out it can be mounted, the better, until it makes the rig just too wide to ride on the roads anymore. Also, being farther out makes the whole rig much more stable once the car has lifted. We decided to keep the out-rigger's use to large parking lots so a person could simply get used to what, and when, a lift will happen. Mine also had the ability to keep lifting the tire higher so the whole rig could actually get to the point of being balanced with the car in the air without fear of laying the bike over.
Over the next five years I made up about a dozen custom frames for this out-rigger and helped several riders get past that fear of right handers. A mis-calculated right hand corner can kill you! If the car lifts while taking the turn and there are oncoming cars, you have no choice but to hit them! If you hit the brakes the rig will lay over on it's left side and you will go into them anyway.
I'm still so respectful of any right hand turn.
Speaking of dogs in hacks, did your dog take to the car right off? My little Eskie is still quite fearful of mine, even if the engine isn't running. I sat in the car and coaxed her into my lap, but she quickly jumps out and won't get back in for a while. i would love to take her with me all the time, but just can't take the chance of her jumping out. And, I don't want to try to entrap her inside with a top or anything. Once she gets something in her mind, she WILL do it, so a top wouldn't stop her!
I do plan on building a rack on the back to hold a small plastic kennel so we can take her along sometimes. but, when it's just me and her I would like her to be able to ride in the car.

trikebldr

Learning the Ropes
Hi, Mike! I frequently look at your gallery pics, and was just noticing that you, too, seem to have the same problem I have with the factory seat belt. I see an extension belt added to yours! Mine won't even connect! I've checked and it's as extended as possible, so Vetter MUST have also had to use an extension belt to make these work. To me, it's really no matter because I am having a full set of custom-sized belts made with double shoulder belts and lap belt. So, if originals are important to you, you can have mine. Also, as you can see in the pic below, I don't run that black plastic axle nut cover on the wheel anymore. I made up an adapter ring to mount a three spoke spinner to mine. So, again, if originality is important to you, my cap is available if you want it.
Mine came with just one side window panel, and it was broken in half, so I taped it carefully back together and use it as a pattern. I made up both new side windows, but found out when trying to fit them than one of them is shorter than the other. So, a bit of custom fitting was needed, but now I will have that one available for a pattern if ever needed. Unfortunately, mine also was missing one of the "H" couplers between the windshield and the side windows, so I mad up a coupling strip and use nylon screws to tie it all together.
Cindy says that she gets hit with too much wind and even some dust. Of course, she's 6' tall !! So, I am thinking of asking one of the companies that offer new windshields for this car to make me a custom shield that doesn't slope forward at the rear, but instead goes straight up, perpendicular to the bottom edge, giving me quite a bit of extra wind protection.
I'm doing some drawings for a model-t styled top that will not connect at all to the body of the car, but will move with the lid when flipped open. It will leave a big gap at the rear to clear the roll bar when flipping it open, but we are mostly concerned with wind and rain deflection when on the road. Your tonneau cover and it's snap connections have given me inspiration on how to make my own, too!

10.jpg

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Hi Bruce, I continue to develop an appreciation for the design of the Goldwing, and specifically now the low centre of gravity as it applies to its use as a tug. Training wheels - great idea if one my sons ever wants to learn how to drive my rig in the future. Regarding the dog, well like many she is cautious about new situations. I started with her just walking and sitting near the sidecar and bike on day one and day two was just a hop in and then out again. Gradually over a seven day period we made small steps until finally she was harnessed (front and back) in and going for rides up and down the driveway. Getting the harness length right so she can sit and lie down took a while because I understand that the option to lie down is important after forty five minutes as sitting for long periods can be uncomfortable. Saying this, she has gone for a 1:15 ride and seems so interested in the sights and smells that she does not want to lie down. Also, having her sit on the right amount of solid sand with the blanket was important I think as she wants her head to be just above the windshied and wants firmness underneath her - multiple blankets was out of the question and I needed the ballast anyway. I could have taken off the windhshield I suppose, but I want her on rainy days to learn to lie down out of the rain - if that is possible. This small but informative book was very helpful to me in providing very practical advice. I highly recommend it. https://www.amazon.ca/Dogs-Ride-Motorcycle-Sidecar-Riding/dp/1502388618 For inspiration I recommend the video Sit, Stay, Ride which can be purchased in DVD form or downloaded from Choppertown.com. Great stories and film footage about dogs in sidecars!
The spinner you made looks great and the side panels too. Thank you for the offer of seat belt and hub cover but I think mine are in good enough shape so I should be okay. There are probably others who would like them though and need them if they want to go original. I do like going original with my bikes simply because I am not a fabricator and finding original parts, getting the few bikes I own to run reasonably well, and detailing them to look clean is enough of a challenge for me - seems to take all the spare time I have! Glad your wife likes the sidecar and the new windshield design will probably make it an even better experience. My wife prefers sitting on the back of my bikes still to the TP. Not sure why - must be an aquired taste. I had a trusted friend take me for a slow, straight ride on a deserted country road so I could experience it and I loved the experience. I thought it was extremely comfortable and relaxing. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with regarding your model-t top! Mike

trikebldr

Learning the Ropes
Hi, Mike!
A couple of times I have flipped my TP open and just sat in it, then tried coaxing my little fur-gurl in with me. It's worked a couple of times. I guess I just need to be a bit more patient and to work her up to it. I use a small trailer to take her along behind my recumbent trike, and I use two short lanyards inside to keep her limited in her movement. I will have to strategically locate a couple of "D" rings to hook her to. Like you, I want her to be able to sit up and look all around, but to be able to crawl down inside and lay on the floor when she wants to. She also likes to be able to see things around us as we drive in my little pickup, so I built a shelf across the back behind the seats that let her look out the back and sides easily while sitting. I love your idea of using a sand-bag as ballast and to build up the seat for the dog.
Just keep in mind that I do have that plastic axle nut cover if you ever need it. A local TP owner scraped his off on his garage door edge and almost took mine as a replacement until he saw my spinner. Now he has a spinner, too!
Sounds like you and I need to get together and take each other riding in our TP's! I trust almost nobody with my rig, not even some other rig pilots! I've seen some pretty scary driving by others who just ride on the edge! Maybe it's my old age! Of course, all my life I've never been comfortable as a passenger on a bike. From the many times I have just sat in mine, it feels like it would be quite comfortable to slump down and use a pillow to lay against to get some sleep while driving along.
Thanks for the link to the book. I have seen the videos on the USCA sidecar forum about Sit, Stay, Ride. My little Zoe is enrolled right now in basic training, so we plan to include her acclimation to the sidecar in her classes.

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Bruce, I will keep that spare in mind. If no one else speaks up for it by the time I plan my next trip to my NY mail address, I will shoot you a conversation, but of course if someone needs it for a project that would be a priority. Yes, not easy being a passenger for sure once you are a motorcycle driver - total sense of no control! In my TP ride I gave my buddy instructions to go slow and not to turn! A more spirited ride would be fun with an experienced driver like yourself - maybe we will connect at a future sidecar rally or Vetter rally someday! Mike

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Oh yes, let me know how Zoe gets along. She sounds like she is young still so with more life experience from the classes that should help her with the sidecar.