Mounting Brackets

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Does anyone have some images of a Windjammer 4 mounting bracket on a Suzuki GS850 1979.

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Can anyone identify this Vetter mounting bracket that came with my Windjammer 4 that i purchased months back, can't remember the bike it came from.
Will it fit on my Suzuki GS850 1979.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220830_201123.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201123.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 100
  • thumbnail_20220830_201104.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201104.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 89
  • thumbnail_20220830_201132.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201132.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail_20220830_201145.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201145.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 93

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Also have this one that came from a KZ1000, probably have to use this one for my Windjammer 4 and do some changes.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220830_201159.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201159.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 92
  • thumbnail_20220830_201219.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201219.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 85
  • thumbnail_20220830_201405.jpg
    thumbnail_20220830_201405.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 84

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Thanks Dave.

Nice Pics. Cool

To mount the windjammer fairing, do you have to dismount the forks and the front wheel or not.
I am new on this.

Last edited:

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
You can get an idea of what you're looking for in my WJ install thread. I put a WJ bracket from an '82 CB750C on my '96 Nighthawk 750:

The WJ5 is going on the Nighthawk after all!

Thanks, nice Pics Larry your Bike looks Awsum.
I have a certain Idea, but i don't know if the French here will be able to mount this fairing on my GS850 1979 due to be an American fairing.
I had a bit of a hard time where i live to find a good mechanic that worked on these classic bikes especially on the Suzuki, . If not i will have to do it myself. Once I took my Bike to the Suzuki Garage and the only thing they said, they would only do simple things like change oils, brakes, tires. they said they wouldn't even touch the carbs or the motor. they made me find a mechanic of old classic bikes witch nowadays is hard to find.

Last edited:

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Today i made my own mounting bracket for my tail trunk.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220906_123210.jpg
    thumbnail_20220906_123210.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 84
  • thumbnail_20220906_123310.jpg
    thumbnail_20220906_123310.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 83
  • thumbnail_20220906_123330.jpg
    thumbnail_20220906_123330.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 80
  • thumbnail_20220906_123400.jpg
    thumbnail_20220906_123400.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 92
  • thumbnail_20220906_123123.jpg
    thumbnail_20220906_123123.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 87

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Can anyone tell me what is this for, because it was attached on the left inside of my Windjammmer 4 and the click button on the outside of the fairing, but I think there is something missing.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220913_135735.jpg
    thumbnail_20220913_135735.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 88
  • thumbnail_20220913_135811.jpg
    thumbnail_20220913_135811.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

GreggS

Grasshopper
Country flag
Thanks Dave.

Nice Pics. Cool

To mount the windjammer fairing, do you have to dismount the forks and the front wheel or not.
I am new on this.
I have a WJ4 mounted on an 80 GS1000G, which I believe is the same frame as yours. I bought the bike new and installed the fairing at that time. That was 42 years ago, so this is the best I remember. The headlight brackets have to be taken off. All the wiring connections in the headlamp was gathered together in a bag. All the connections to the fairing are to a special connector, which I hope you have! The bracket is installed first with U-clamps and hose clamps. If you need dimensions or photos of the bracket, let me know. I could get no help at several dealers regarding the carburetors and other items. By chance, I found the mechanic that worked at the dealer when I bought the bike. He is almost as old as I am! I know he set the carbs much richer then original. The bike doesn’t get as good as mileage, but runs much better. Get somebody to install new fork springs and get rid of the air assist. Constant leaking seals over the years. I would suggest changing the rectifier to a different type. Made a big difference in voltage and oil temperature. Below is some of the text from “ GSRESOURCES.COM “. Good luck my friend. Gregg

#2 The Series-type Compufire R/R CF55402​

(only part number applicable to 3 phase PM alternators like GS Suzuki)

The Compufire is my favorite as it is the smallest Series-type R/R available here in the US and is a MOSFET Series-type design which results in slightly superior performance to the SH-775 in terms of lower power dissipation, higher (low RPM) output voltage and lower OFF state current draw. General results should apply to any Series-type R/R not just the Compufire.

Attachments

• 71D3E10A-0259-4E8E-BF3B-CB3AAEBA9ABF.jpeg
    71D3E10A-0259-4E8E-BF3B-CB3AAEBA9ABF.jpeg
    894.4 KB · Views: 90

GreggS

Grasshopper
Country flag
I found something that may be of help. An installation manual for the WJ4. I think I was wrong when I said mine was also a WJ4. It was actually a Windjammer SS, which is exactly the same. Just a name change in 1979 from 4 to SS. Here’s the link below. Craig has passed, but the website is still active by Carol, his wife. Www.CraigVetter.com I’ve talked to her a few times. Gregg
https://www.craigvetter.com/images/Vetter%20Fairings/Windjammer-instructions-images/Windjammer_instructions/1979%20Windjammer%20IV%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
I have a WJ4 mounted on an 80 GS1000G, which I believe is the same frame as yours. I bought the bike new and installed the fairing at that time. That was 42 years ago, so this is the best I remember. The headlight brackets have to be taken off. All the wiring connections in the headlamp was gathered together in a bag. All the connections to the fairing are to a special connector, which I hope you have! The bracket is installed first with U-clamps and hose clamps. If you need dimensions or photos of the bracket, let me know. I could get no help at several dealers regarding the carburetors and other items. By chance, I found the mechanic that worked at the dealer when I bought the bike. He is almost as old as I am! I know he set the carbs much richer then original. The bike doesn’t get as good as mileage, but runs much better. Get somebody to install new fork springs and get rid of the air assist. Constant leaking seals over the years. I would suggest changing the rectifier to a different type. Made a big difference in voltage and oil temperature. Below is some of the text from “ GSRESOURCES.COM “. Good luck my friend. Gregg

The Compufire is my favorite as it is the smallest Series-type R/R available here in the US and is a MOSFET Series-type design which results in slightly superior performance to the SH-775 in terms of lower power dissipation, higher (low RPM) output voltage and lower OFF state current draw. General results should apply to any Series-type R/R not just the Compufire.

Thanks G

Thanks Gregg, you gave me a good advice, experience and more credible viewpoint, I am new on this

Yes my bike looks similar to yours and i just purchased some lowers mounting kit and a 9 pin plug set from the store it arrived on Monday so i am ok with the wiring connections.

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Thanks Gregg, you gave me a good advice, experience and more credible viewpoint, I am new on this.
Yes my bike looks similar to yours and i just purchased some lowers mounting kit and a 9 pin plug set from the store it arrived on Monday so i am ok with the wiring connections. I will be checking the rest that you mentioned. Thanks:)

GreggS

Grasshopper
Country flag
Thanks Gregg, you gave me a good advice, experience and more credible viewpoint, I am new on this.
Yes my bike looks similar to yours and i just purchased some lowers mounting kit and a 9 pin plug set from the store it arrived on Monday so i am ok with the wiring connections. I will be checking the rest that you mentioned. Thanks:)
When I ordered my lowers kit, even though is specifically for my/ our bike, it did fit at all. The lower is a 2 part assembly. As I understand it, the shiny side is the same for all variants. The inner part is not! I had to do a lot of cutting and fitting to make it work. Also, I take mine off during the hot part of summer.
I just checked the part numbers. Your frame number was changed from 79 to 80 to the same number as mine. My bike was not available in 79. It appears it was a minor difference for whatever reason. The only difference I know of is my top end is different, while mine basically has a strengthened 850 bottom end. The two bikes carried the same frame for the rest of their model life, even into the 1100 variant of my 1000. (Fiction and fact from Gregg’s almanac!)

Manny27

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Thanks, I will probably have to do the same cutting the lowers as well like you mentioned.
I haven't tried them yet due to the bike is still at the garage doing mechanical overhaul.