Sportster...

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Soon I will own another Sportster...

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing Craigslist and came across a listing for a "High Performance Sportster." It definitely intrigued me, so I decided to open the ad and see what was listed.

I was not disappointed. The owner built a Sportster the same way I wanted to build my previous Sportster before I had to sell it. There were a few differences as this was an EFI bike and my previous Sportster was carbureted. The only issue I had was the price; it was just a little bit more than I wanted to spend on bike. I decided to pass on contacting the owner.

Fast forward to the other day and I came across the listing again. This time I noticed the price had dropped into a range I was a little more comfortable with. I still heavily debated contacting the owner and finally decided to do it. After having the owner address a few questions I had, I set up a time to look at the bike.

That day was today.

When I arrived, I was greeted by the bike in the driveway. The owner came out of his garage, I introduced myself and he had no issues telling me the bikes history from when he purchased it new. He went over the current configuration of the bike and addressed a couple of the concerns I originally had. After talking about the bike a little more, he fired it up and I got to listen to it run. After turning the bike off, we talked about the bike a little more, talked about some of the bikes in his garage, and then he told me to throw a leg over the bike and see if I liked how it felt.

While sitting on the bike he asked what my intentions were; trying to see if the current build of the bike would suit my needs. He told me about others that came to look at the bike and how they repeatedly kept beating him down on the price. After discussing things a little more, he asked if I wanted to take it for a little ride. How could I say no?

I think during that ride I had a permanent smile on my face. Oh my, this bike is what I needed. When I returned he commented about how he usually is very leery on letting people take the bike for test rides. He said he usually would just demo the bike up and down the street for prospective buyers; afterwards they would beat him down on price.

I discussed my intentions and how my work schedule wasn't working in my favor at the moment. Needless to say, he understood the situation and offered to hold it for me. So, my next day off from work I'll be headed to the bank to discuss a little financing.

Now what would this story be without a few pictures?

20160317_122604_zps9tpsuh4p.jpg

20160317_122557_zpsiu2gyl1y.jpg

20160317_122458_zpstmidkzzv.jpg

Specs:
2010 HD Sportster 883 Iron
6,000 Miles on bike; 1,330ish on the motor build.
NRHS 1250 Kit
XB1200 Heads
Stage 3 Porting
30 Degree Dome Pistons
S&S Roller Rocks
Jim's Hydro-Solid Lifters
Redshift 585V2 Camshaft
D&D Bobcat Exhaust (Modified)
Chain-Drive Conversion
Screamin' Eagle Air Intake
Performance Oil Cooler
TTS Master Tune
Misc Cosmetic Upgrades

It was dyno-tuned and put down right at 100hp at the rear tire.

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I do have a Windjammer sitting here not mounted to anything...haha. I was browsing the Vetter website and did see some pics of a 2005 Sportster with a Windjammer III mounted and it looks good!

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
That is sharp BS. I used to own a Buick Grand National, actually I owned two. You had to do that because one was always broke! So, I grew a love for blacked out vehicles.

I think a blacked out Vetter would look incredible. If you want some Photoshop let me know. I can mock something up for you.

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I was able to get the Sporty a temp tag; which of course I'm in my long work week with only 2 days off. I've always like the look of 'baby baggers' or 'Sport-glides.' There were a couple of topics on the XLForum with guys asking about mounting a windjammer; so I know it can be done.

I think the bike looks good as is, but I may play around with the idea of the windjammer some more.

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I did find a Quicksilver fairing on the local Craigslist and the price isn't terrible. It would probably be a better size for the Sportster, however I'm not very fond of the square headlight.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
I think it will look better with out any fairing..well maybe a small cafe style type,like a Brit bike.

Just a short small fairing like this would be cool.

Last edited:

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, I do like how it looks without a fairing. The idea of a "baby bagger" has always intrigued me, thus the idea of putting a fairing on it. Unlike a lot of Harley riders, I do enjoy riding with my full face helmet.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
Years ago I used to see one once a week on a Harley as I ran my route.I thought it looked pretty dang good.I never would have thought of a Vetter on a HD..a mounting bracket will take a little time to make.

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Here is a picture of a 2005 Sportster with a Windjammer III on it; this was taken from Craig Vetter's website.
Rich_Sportster_05_zpsnwfagfuy.jpg

I could see some clearance issues with how mine is currently built, parts are easy enough to change if it comes down to it. I do have quite a few projects at the moment, and this isn't really at the top of the list.