Possible to retro fit Windjammer RH hard cover lid onto Quicksilver?

AlexP

Grasshopper
Hi, I was wondering if its possible to retro fit a Windjammer RH hard cover lid onto Quicksilver fairing? How much size difference is there? Is the curved profile the same?

I was wondering if anybody on here has done this before?

Looking to get a locking cover to fit my Quicksilver fairing.

AlexP

Grasshopper
Yeah, I am not shy on building my own... I would never want to butcher a NOS part just to get some locking lids.
I had a look at that listing and it gives me a idea on how to do it, the shape is way more funky than the Windjammer type.

Thanks for putting that up here.

Pretty sure I can get the lock and keys easily, I have a plastics supply shop in town that may even sell the stippled black ABS sheet, just cut, heat, and mold. I need to remove the snaps if I want to make it easier, working around those may be a nightmare.

AlexP

Grasshopper
BTW - Anybody know a source to buy that type of automotive cylinder lock and key? It has to have cover where the key goes in to keep the rain out...

AlexP

Grasshopper
I just answered my own question, found some cylinder type locks used for cabinets on Ebay, they should also be available at Lowe's etc.

Alan 63

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
BTW - Anybody know a source to buy that type of automotive cylinder lock and key? It has to have cover where the key goes in to keep the rain out...
I'm
Rv dealership that's where I went travel trailers etc. Will use a very similar lock.
Alan

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I just answered my own question, found some cylinder type locks used for cabinets on Ebay, they should also be available at Lowe's etc.
Tractor supply also has them. They key them all the same in the same size locks. The number on the keys is 604 for the locks that fit Vetter Saddlebags, Trunk, Fairing right side locking cover, and the saddlebag release locks. You must use a square file to make the dog holes larger to fit the new lock cylinder dogs. Only downside is someone that purchased those same cylinder locks will have a key that fits the Vetter stuff on your bike. It's not hard to take the Lowe's locks apart and re-key them by moving the lock plates around in the cylinder to match the key you want to use. Lowe's sells them that are keyed alike in sets of three. If you're lucky you can buy a set of three for the saddlebags and trunk and then get lucky and find three more that use the same number lock plates in different cylinder slots. You can pull those lock plates out of the cylinder and move them around to match the key use with the other three locks. You can leave a cylinder empty if you have an odd number lock plate. That happened to me. The key number on one set of locks I purchased was 33443 and the other set of locks was 44335.
I swapped the 44's and 33's and just left out that number 5 lock plate. No one would ever know that unless the lock is taken apart. If you do something like that make sure to remove the little spring in the empty slot as well. It can keep the lock cylinder from turning by jamming up the works.

Tractor Supply Locks.

National Hardware VKA825 1/2 Utility Lock, Keyed Alike, Chrome
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...re-vka825-1-2-utility-lock-keyed-alike-chrome