New Guy from North Carolina

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
New to the Vetter Forum but not to the very best Faring ever devised. I am now riding behind my third Vetter; this is my Windjammer III (ser # 09-99025). It was originally silver without any type of Vetter stripping. It is now black and mounted on my pride and joy and daily rider, my 1979 Yamaha XS11 Special.
I had a Quicksilver on my 1982 Honda FT500 Ascot, a match made in rider's Heaven.
Then a Quicksilver on my 1985 Honda CB700 Nighthawk S. This was accomplished by using a late model Honda (for the time) CB750 Quicksilver mount and modifying it to fit the Nighthawk. I was lucky to find a new Quicksilver for the Nighthawk but I found an m/c shop in Thousand Oakes CA that was doing close outs.
Back to the XS11. I found this XS as a barn find in 2010. It had been stored for 22 years and was factory original but had been stored. It required all new bearings, seals and brake rebuild except for the engine, in perfect condition after I awakened it from its long slumber. This was in Hanford, CA.
There is a once Honda m/c shop that was dropped by Honda during the great dealer purge of the eighties but had remained an independent shop. In one back room, the owner had stored most of his aftermarket NOS stock. It was like a museum. On a shelf was a used Windjammer III that I had admired for many years but didn't have a use for until the XS11 came into my life. The owner sold me the faring for $30.00 and a NOS (1977) windshield for $70.00. Thanks to Crag Vetter Designs and ebay, I had my Jammer on my XS inside a month.
February of this year, I moved to North Carolina and have not looked back.
I hope I did not get too wordy right out of the gate, but hello everyone.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Welcome to the forum,Jammer!

Please tell us a bit about the bracket mod. I'm looking into mounting a WJ5 to my '96 Nighthawk 750 with an '82 CB750K bracket.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Welcome to the forum,Jammer!

Please tell us a bit about the bracket mod. I'm looking into mounting a WJ5 to my '96 Nighthawk 750 with an '82 CB750K bracket.
As I can remember (30 years ago) I cut the bottom of the mount about half way down from top from bottom and extended the bottom around 1½ inches welded ¼ inch steel dowel or so into the hollow mount frame. I cut the frame mounting cups from the mount, placed the mount to the frame and spot welded the cups in place then removed the mount and welded the cups in place. The lower cross bar fit just under the oil cooler so I removed the cooler bolt and welded a tab to the top of the lower cross bar that extended up to the cooler mount point, drilled a hole to match and bolted the cooler to the tab to the frame with a proper length bolt. Mounted the mount with hose clamps (recommended) and the whole shebang went for 100k+ without a problem.
Dang I can remember that much and not what I had for dinner. Alzheimer's and ADHD together is a funny thing.

Larry Fine

Country flag
The only interference I have is between the lower horizontal section of the mount (between the lower cups) and the two inner exhaust pipes. I'm going to try cutting out that section and mounting the bracket first. I've already slid my tank into the fairing, and it just fits.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Welcome Jammer! Thanks for sharing the history. Like Brian said. We like pics here in Vetter land!

Good to see another XSer. I sold my 79 to my Dad about 3 months ago. I sure miss it. My current goal is a Midnight Special. One of my other Vetter goals I met, and ill share soon!!

This is a fun little forum, very specific to Vetter, however we love all things motorcycle and love to discuss.

Looking forward to sharing more stories and history.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Welcome Jammer! Thanks for sharing the history. Like Brian said. We like pics here in Vetter land!

Good to see another XSer. I sold my 79 to my Dad about 3 months ago. I sure miss it. My current goal is a Midnight Special. One of my other Vetter goals I met, and ill share soon!!

This is a fun little forum, very specific to Vetter, however we love all things motorcycle and love to discuss.

There are two things I can not get the understanding of and that is;
1. Women - - and
2. How to get my pectures on to a forum.
After attepting this for years with no luck and seeing everybody else having such a great time showing off their stuff. I gladly would if I could.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes

334_zpsbo6ogbmh.jpg