Hey - My Intro and some Pics

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
Hey everyone,

I've only been riding for a few years (started around 35 years old). My first (and 2nd parts) bike is an 1982 Yamaha XJ750J Maxim.

My love of Vetter products (Windjammer and Luggage specifically) started when I saw my model bike on photobucket with a full Vetter setup. I knew I had to get a set.

I luckily found my 1st and 2nd set of Fairing and Luggage with brackets for only $100 per set!!!

Fast forward a couple of years and this is the result of my install and customization:

Unfortunately the bike is in parts and I haven't had time or good weather to rebuild it since I moved. :(

I also have a WJ5, WJ3 and another WJ4 in various conditions in my basement as well as a Quicksilver installed on my "parts" bike (unknown overall condition).

My Windjammer 4 is installed with the correct bike specific braket. The luggage bags were originally installed with the correct brackets. When I swapped on the backrest and trunk bracket from my parts bike, I modified a bag bracket set that came off a GL?? from my 2nd set.

The set has been repainted by my brother-in-law to a gloss black. I added vintage-inspired custom reflective pinstripes to all plastic pieces. Additionally I had custom INVERSE reflective Windjammer Decals created and revere painted the luggage badges. The trunk has been updated with 6" oval LED brake lights intended for semi trailers. I also added red LED side markers that are also reflective. I added (flimsy) yellow LED strips I use as turn signals. (I have different replacements I haven't tried installing yet). I also added some 4" marine grade speakers to the bags. They are not as loud as desired and probably require some kind of soundproofing/porting in the bags. The Cycle Sound radio shell has the same 4" speakers and a modern 2 stem din style radio installed. I have a NOS rectangular radio cover for the Cycle Sound I didn't install yet.

Here are some pictures from before I disassembled the bike (and moved shortly afterwards). Click for larger versions. You can also read about my Vetter assembly adventure here if you're curious.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=26370.html

P.S. That's an LED DOT Trucklite Headlight and the rest of the bike is 100% LED.

Front angle:
th_IMAG0195.jpg

Side view showing trunk side lights, bag lights and inverse logos (including my Maxim logos - matching Yamaha Tank logo not installed yet):
th_IMAG0196.jpg

Rear angle showing trunk lights and CycleSound Shell:
th_IMAG0197.jpg

View of trunks marker light:
th_IMAG0208.jpg

Reverse painted luggage badges:
th_IMAG0502.jpg
th_IMAG0442.jpg

Custom Reflective Decals I drew and ordered:
th_Decals.jpg
th_IMAG0856.jpg

Early picture of my "fun" vest including the custom XJBikes patch I drew/ordered:
th_IMAG0173.jpg

Custom bracket offsets can be as simple as square tubing or metal bar pieces:
th_IMAG0557.jpg

Trunk Pin-striping - I did start the design backwards but just mirrored it so I wouldn't run the paint (semi-permanent decal material).
th_PinStripes2003.jpg

Bringing my original Vetter Set home:
th_bikeparts001.jpg

P.S.

I also have 2 sets of Hippo Hands (2 styles) - One of them never installed on a bike.

Additionally I have a "The BagMan" tank bag (Craig's brother's old company/brand) and one "Vetter Windjammer" maroon tri-color leather jacket.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
Welcome to the forum!

How do you like the LED headlight?

Although I didn't ride to often at night (before I took the bike apart), I did like the headlight. It was bright and LED lights really light up reflective street signs.

FYI: They do make a newer version that looks more like a normal headlight. I have the original military style 12v version. Luckily I got my for less than retail thru a Napa dealer that happened to be on Ebay with one.