Hello, Vetter/Windjammer newbie here.

Gene

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi, I'm Gene, and my ride is a 85 Honda 650sc Nighthawk. I've been looking for a fairing for it, and ran into an ad for a Windjammer. Whats the difference between that and a Vetter?

I'm checking out this Craigslist ad, and I'm not sure about the condition. Seems to be fair, but I am no expert. He has a owners manual, but as you can see, it's in rough shape. I'm also not sure about the mounting brackets, is there something missing? Any help will be appreciated, up to including one for sale somewhere else. He in in Northern calif, I'm in Southern Calif, it's a drive over 400 miles one way.

Thank you, I hope I can contribute in time as I learn more.

Last edited:

Larry Fine

Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

Vetter is the brand, and Windjammer is the model. There are no pictures in your post.

Do not pay for a fairing in less than good condition; there are too many good ones around.

Check out eBay regularly. The more general your search terms, the more results you'll see.

Windjammers are not the only Vetter models that would look good on a Nighthawk.

All windjammers mount with the same bolt pattern; the mounts are bike-specific, but adaptable.

Check out: https://craigvetter.com/ but be diligent before ordering anything from there.

My project thread:

Last edited:

Gene

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hi Larry, nice to see you on another board. My mistake, I forgot the ad.
Here it is:

BTW, my Honda has the rectangular head light, this might limit my choices.

Last edited:

Larry Fine

Country flag
Ah, this one again.

It says: "Has bolts and brackets in trunk" and appears to be in decent condition.

Maybe offer $50 to help offset the cost of driving.

Gene

Grasshopper
Country flag
Larry, the mounting bracket is a problem for me. I have no idea what it looks like, anyone have a picture? From what you've said, I get the impression that there is a universal bracket for most applications? And, if I do get it, is there a source for the installation instructions?

Last edited:

Larry Fine

Country flag
No, there really was no universal bracket. Read through my thread. I was lucky that I was able to make the bracket I got work with so little modification.

I do not know whether the Windstar uses the same kind of frame mount as the Windjammers, or if it is a handlebar mount like the Vetter Rooster was.

The paperwork shows an '83 CB650SC, which IS a Nighthawk, and it's likely what the fairing was mounted to. This is a better first step than anything else.

Looking at the paperwork again, and the picture with the speakers, it appears that the Windstar does use the same kind of mount as the Windjammer.

You should ask he seller whether there is a fairing mount. It will look something like these:

kz900.com%2Fkz%2Fvetter%2Fvttr-bracket-unknown-001.jpg
ayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2Fxb0AAOxyqKVRgOUd%2Fs-l400.jpg

Last edited: