Vetterize a 78 GL1000

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I am wanting to buy a GL1000 to completely restore and Vetterize. Problem is I know absolutely nothing about GL's, being an XS guy all my life.

Here is one I found on Craigslist and its close. Looks like it has a lot of fluff on it. Is this a good deal, bad deal, etc.

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/5049362203.html

I am wanting to take one back to 100% stock, so keep that in mind.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
That is not a 78. That is 75 to 77. I am not good enough to tell the diffrernce just by pictures, but the wheels aren'the stock either. I think those are letters which add to the bike.

78 & 7th had the gauges on the tank shelter... 75 to 77 did not. 1500 seems like a lot, but that would depend on condition and miles.

AspectOne

Grasshopper
You are exactly right, I believe those are Lester mags on that bike, front fender also looks a bit odd to me for the bike.
Since you are going back to factory with this machine and then doing a Vetter tour pack I would say its not a bad deal at all if it runs out correctly of course. It has MANY extra chrome bits and goodies that can be taken off and sold on fleabay to reduce your initial investment as well as making another wing owner happy as nice chrome bits and goodies are hard to find for the earlier wings than one might think. MHO

A1

roncar

...I am wanting to take one back to 100% stock, so keep that in mind.
...It has MANY extra chrome bits and goodies that can be taken off and sold on fleabay to reduce your initial investment as well as making another wing owner happy as nice chrome bits and goodies are hard to find for the earlier wings than one might think. MHO

A1
A lot of those "chrome bits and goodies" are replacing OEM parts that are just as hard to find. For what you have previously described, this is not the one you want. A nice bike and price for what it is, but lots of OEM parts to source and not a '78.

roncar

A couple of things to consider.

1. There is very little difference between the 78 and 79 GL1000 Goldwings. Most obvious are the turn signals (rectangular instead of round) and the 'spokes' on the wheels are slightly different. Very very little was changed as Honda was concentrating their efforts on the GL1100 for the 1980 model year.

2. After a long hiatus, I wanted a '77 GL1000 mainly because that's what I had back in 1977. After 8 years, I have a 75, 76, 3 78's and a 79 frame. Still haven't found a 77 locally in my price range and I have stopped looking. Got enough for now.

3. IMHO any year GL1000 will look sharp fully dressed in Vetter. As long as you can find one that is substantially OEM complete in reasonable condition.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Thats great advice Ron. Thank you. My goal is to make a exact replica of the 78 GL Vetterized that Craig has in his poster.

vetter_honda_gl.jpg

roncar

Just from what I can see, there are several aftermarket items on there, besides the Vetter equipment.

1. king/queen seat.

2. rider floorboards. Most likely coupled with a heel/toe shifter.

3. passenger floorboards.

4. oops bars or engine protectors. I hate to call them crash bars due to personal experience. Don't do much in a crash. The style pictured, looks like the 'Hondaline' which are rare to find. Like most accessories, many manufactures jumped on the GL1000 bandwagon.
roncar_77_1.jpg

Only when placed side by side can you tell the differences between 78 and 79 (or the hardcore.)
7879wheels.jpg

That said, I have found and acquired more 78's (and parts for 78's) than any other year.

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Around here the GL1000 'Wings are priced around $2,000 for a complete running bike. I've seen them cheaper, but the condition is usually pretty rough.

That Police Interceptor badge looks spot on to the ones on the Crown Victoria. My guess is someone slapped it on there.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Possibly, but:there are two badges, police bikes are usually fitted with a solo seat and a rear compartment or radio box (which would explain the missing seat. I'd look for power added wiring to the rear and wiring and mounting holes from auxiliary lighting.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I agree with Beached Squirrel and suspect that the "Police Interceptor" was taken from a Crown Vic - Not many stories out there about GW's being police bikes.

What is it missing:
Seat and headlight - obviously
Front turn signals, posible the rear also (cant tell from the pictures)
Front foot peg
OEM valave covers - lefts side appears to be OEM, but the right side appears to be aftermarket
Not sure about the handlebars - it looks like there is an additional riser there which may be what is making them look different to me.
The pressure gauge on the left fork is interesting...
Not sure about the 6872 miles.

I guess it would depend on how well it runs and rides if it is really worth $1,000. What I see is $750, that gives you some room for the additional parts, but this one is a lot closer than the other one you posted.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
As you all know I have a 77 GL1000 to do up. Now here is my issue. I really like the WindJammer Fairing look on my 78 for many reasons. The first one to me is the most important one and I'm sure most would agree. can hear if the engine in in some kind of trouble. Vacuum driven C/V slide tend to lean out a engine and cause it to get hot and fail. The first sign of this is engine knocking harmonics. This is never good on a engine. The second is not needing to deal with road debris and wind or rain. Finally what it was made to do. So this is a big deal to me. I have spent a lot of money on this 78 and to tell you the truth I don't want to go that deep. Plus this bike is older and in better shape then what I started with when doing up my 78. So to simple it Just a fairing out front would be fine then again stock would be okay too. If I could find another fairing for a good price I would get it I'm guessing but still not sure. The old one was cracked in to many places and was not wanting to spend the money in a repair kit to fix it when there still to be had. Again unsure need some input on this thanks again..

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Paul, I totally understand the dilemma. Since you already did a Vetterized GL, maybe a different direction for this one? The real question is do you want a fairing and, or touring setup on this GL. Maybe your 78 is your more touring bike, and the 77 is more your naked bike?

roncar

Personal preference, but I have always preferred to have a wind screen. Thinking back, every bike I've owned (except the Honda XL350 I played in the dirt with) has eventually had a windscreen/fairing on it.

My project bike, (one of them ;)) I wanted to put a clear windscreen on, but Vetter fairings are more plentiful and less expensive and I am extremely budget conscious (ie $0.00 budget.:()

Fairings you either love or hate. Lots of hate out there which is good for me.:bliss

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
It is nice having one bike that isn't as dressed up as the other, but bugs hurt and they do not taste very good.

PAUL politsch

Vetter Aficionado
This is my point. I think I will take the ladder. I think I will just get a fairing to have painted the same color just in case.. . I'm just getting older and don't want all the wind. I'll fix it up I have two of them. Plenty of important parts engines. When I got my 78 it was not much to look at but now a looker it is ..! Thanks again..