Trunk light wiring for brakes and turn signals

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I got a nice Vetter Trunk a few days ago and decided to hook up those 4 lights to my bike. My trunk did not come with the original 3 pin molex connector. I can understand why someone would remove the original connector as corrosion would have caused faulty lighting problems. I also wanted the tail lights to function as brake and turn signals as well. The original setup only allowed the tail lights to function despite the use of 1157 bulbs and sockets. I guess Craig thought some customers would end up overloading their Bikes brake and turn signal circuits and blame him for their problems. The first thing I did was remove the data plate that also functions as the molex plug mount. I already had a set (male and female pair) of 6 pin molex connectors. I enlarged the hole so the new molex plug would fit. I only needed 4 of the 6 holes available as I already have a 3 to 2 tail light converter typically used between a vehicle with separate brake and turn signals to a trailer with combined brake and turn signal lights. It also isolates the bikes brake and turn signal circuits from a trailer or in my case the 4 trunk tail lights. The two left and right lights on the trunk are wired common so they operate like a single light. The other molex connector is wired to a standard 4 pole flat connector that's the same as the connector you would find on a trailer. I already had a matching connector that I use with a trailer I occasionally pull with the bike. After testing the trunk lights with a 12 volt battery I then connected the trunk to the trailer connector. Everything worked perfectly.
Those 4 extra lights are now really impressive in operation and help other drivers behind see me braking and or turning.
My Honda VLX 600 with it's Vetter Trunk.
S5030074.jpg

The new 6 pin molex connector
S5030075.jpg

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Finally got around to adding an adjustable LED Flasher Relay to my taillight brake circuit. It turned out better than I expected! Here's a video of the result.
No excuses for cars not seeing you now - nice work!