Old guy been riding for over 50 years, 81 KZ1100 with full Vetter

Highwinder

Grasshopper
Hello all from northern Washington state! Yes we ride in some of the most beautiful areas around... Have own the KZ1100 A1 Shafty for a number of years. Restored the bike after I received it as it was a basket case... Love those older bikes and the smooth power of the old 1100s.

roncar

I use Windows Paint to resize. Usually 600 to 1000 pixels wide works well for forum posts.

paint resize.png

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I agree Steppen.

I also notice that that blue looks very similar to the Honda GL color Candy Grandeur Blue.

Highwinder

Grasshopper
The Bike has the original Royal Blue color, and when I saw the Honda at the beginning, I thought at first glance it was another 81 KZ... the only difference is I painted it with modern basecoat, clear coat.
... the bike was a frame and boxes full of parts when it was given to me.... had to replace the head, bore the block (didn't want to do that) .060, only needed about .010 but could not find pistons hence the .060 over, also the stock compression was 9.0:1 and the .060 Wensco are 10.5:1...then a 4 into 1 MAC header. Had some heating problems, so did a re-jet on the carbs, purchased a B&M transmission cooler, re-routed the oil
cooler lines and mounted the larger B&M unit under the trunk, and the temp gage beside the radio pack, works great, even in +90 degree weather she's never gone over 200 F hard riding over the pass. Had the seat made by Richards out of California with the adjustable back rest... really glad I put that back rest on her is a great edition also all the lights, save the headlamp are LED...anyway she's the stock Royal Blue. One thing I've not figured out.. of all the KZ1100s that have been talked about the riders complain about
only getting ~35 - 38 mpg... We ride over Washington Pass between Sedro
Woolley, WA and Winthrop, WA for lunch (138 miles) and without
exception I've never done worse than 45 mpg.. riding from Sedro
Woolley, WA to Ellensburg, WA on the Freeway running #$ mph I still got
over 45 mpg... whether it is the Vetter or ? I think these other riders
have something wrong with their bikes...

Attachments

• pictures for Alan 022.JPG
    pictures for Alan 022.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 490
  • KZ engine rebuild 001.JPG
    KZ engine rebuild 001.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 501
  • KZ engine rebuild 002.JPG
    KZ engine rebuild 002.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 579
  • KZ engine rebuild 003.JPG
    KZ engine rebuild 003.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 521
  • KZ engine rebuild 006.JPG
    KZ engine rebuild 006.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 746

Highwinder

Grasshopper
Thanks, I took it out for a run yesterday and really enjoyed getting back on the bike... weather cooperated, meaning no rain.. was high 40s but that is normal for this time of the year...

Highwinder

Grasshopper
Mine had the stock oil cooler but didn't work that well, but then the displacement stock as you know was 1082 cc, 9.0:1 and now it is about 1129 cc and 10.5:1... and the stock cooler just wouldn't handle the increased heat output... the only way I could get the stock oil cooler to work was to remove the lower fairings and I didn't want to do that.. and again this really works great. One of these days I would like to put it on a dyno just to see what the rear wheel hp is now vs stock... I know I didn't have any trouble pulling away for a friend that rides an 04 1800 Goldwing... at almost 70 we're not hot rodders but still love to turn them loose once in awhile...

VoodooRed_KZ1100_A-3

Learning the Ropes
Highwinder, your KZ is one sweet lookin' ride!

Mine is an '83, and I'd like to see some pics of that oil cooler of yours. Thinking about drastically re-plumbing mine. Do you have the B&M part number for the cooler? Many thanks!

Mark

VoodooRed_KZ1100_A-3

Learning the Ropes
Nice:) You know it only needs one thing...One of those chrome thingies that goes over the head light.

Steppenwolf,

Y'mean that chrome "eyelid" lookin' thingy with a jewel to tell when the "high beam" is on? lol...

That's a must-have accessory! I call that thing the June Bug Collector.

Mark