Windjamming my XS

Stumpy(NH)

Grasshopper
Country flag
So, this summer I got back the 1980 XS Eleven Special that my Mother bought new from the second owner that took fantastic care of. I rode on the back of this bike when I was a kid. My brother and I grew up on motorcycles with my parents. I am thrilled to have the bike, but have become a fairing kind of guy. With the experience of my Vetter on the CB900c, its a no brainer where this is going. Great fairing, period correct.

I started my search for a Yamaha XS mount and got it. Now comes the what fits and what hits portion. I had to relocate the horns. The reflectors on the side of the down tubes just make it without removal.

Since I run a tall shield on the Honda I wanted to experiment with cutting down a windshield. Using a dremel tool it was actually quite easy. I cut above the profile line I had made and then used a sanding block to bring it down to the line and finish it. I am really looking forward to trying it this spring. The top of the shield had a crack so I didn't really destroy a good one anyhow.

The mounting went well, the screwed up fairing trim, not so well. That was REALLY bonded on. I am currently searching for trim alternatives.

The fairing is out right now being painted and color matched to my bike. I did all the wiring and repairs to the fairing and bike so when I get it back assembly should be all that is left besides decals.

I have more pics, but no matter what i do to edit them, they appear here upside down. LOL

Attachments

• vettershield.jpg
    vettershield.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 184
  • vettershield2.jpg
    vettershield2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 125
  • vetterxs7.jpg
    vetterxs7.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 131
  • vetterxs12.jpg
    vetterxs12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 127
  • vetterxs13.jpg
    vetterxs13.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 127
  • vetterxs10.jpg
    vetterxs10.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 138
  • vetterxs9 (2).jpg
    vetterxs9 (2).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 138

Stumpy(NH)

Grasshopper
Country flag
A few more in process pics. Even found dates on the fairing and inside the left glove box.

Attachments

• vetterxs4.jpg
    vetterxs4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 132
  • vetterxs3.jpg
    vetterxs3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 125
  • vetterxs2.jpg
    vetterxs2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 125

Stumpy(NH)

Grasshopper
Country flag
xsvetter10.JPG
xsvetter10.JPG
xsvetter11.JPG
xsvetter12.JPG
xsvetter13.JPG

I am 100% absolutely in love!!!! The paint came out fantastic. As soon as my fairing trim comes in I can do final assembly and intall my Cycle Sound to wrap this project up. Can't get over how sexy this looks!!!!!

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Regarding the upside-down pics.
Often, the camera / phone will set a flag for orientation and the dumb website software just reads that and won't let you change it.
However, if you put the pic through something like GIMP or Photoshop you can reset the orientation flag or remove it altogether.
Sometimes the processing software will do that without even telling you, so that can be a win.

IFIXTHINGS

Grasshopper
Country flag
Any more updates to this?

Would love to see pics of the CB900C as well! I've got an 81 that I'm currently retromodding into a old/new metric bagger