Windjammer III rebuild

husky385

Learning the Ropes
A while back I bought this windjammer III off of Craigs List for $30.00.
I have been lucky in that most of the hard to find pieces are still usable from this fairing.
The trim, graphics, windshield foam and bolts, I got from Carol. I am going to use the wind shield from my Vindicator fairing. The headlight came from Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291446707068?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I will have to modify part of the headlight assembly for it to fit.
I just got the fairing back from paint (free by the way). Nephew owns a auto repair shop and often trades work for whatever.
I am ready to start assembling the fairing. I will post pictures when it's finished
Meanwhile pics of fairing before and painted and with parts.

Attachments

• 20160330_193333_resized (2).jpg
    20160330_193333_resized (2).jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 758

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I am getting ready to do the same thing to my WJ III and that head light is interesting. Does it use a regular head light buld?

husky385

Learning the Ropes
I am getting ready to do the same thing to my WJ III and that head light is interesting. Does it use a regular head light buld?
It uses the h4 bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    738.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    725 KB · Views: 526

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
It uses the h4 bulb.
It depends on what type of headlight was in the fairing when you got it. All Windjammers use standard 7" round headlights. Back in the 70's they all came with DOT Approved 7" sealed beam Motorcycle headlight bulbs. The same headlight used in cars and trucks except with lower power requirements. When I got my Windjammer SS it still had it's original Sealed Beam headlight. I replaced it with a new, 7" headlight that uses an H4 bulb. I did use that old Sealed Beam bulb for a few days until my new headlight arrived. The old bulb had 'Motorcycle' molded in the glass. As I discovered the light pattern was exactly the same as bulbs used in cars and trucks. The only real difference was the wattage rating of the filaments. Both were only 25 watts so the bulb did not use too much power for the motorcycles electrical system. I attempted to drive it after dark and found I could hardly see any distance at all ahead of me. I had to drive home very slowly. I have an LED Flashlight that puts out more light that that old 'Motorcycle' sealed beam bulb did. I ended up selling that old bulb to a guy from the Barber Motorsports Museum after I put it up on Craigslist. They wanted it because it still worked on high and low and it had that "Motorcycle" label molded in the glass.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I have used LED driving lights with lots of success, so I am looking for a LED headlight to replace the stock headlight unit.

husky385

Learning the Ropes
I have used LED driving lights with lots of success, so I am looking for a LED headlight to replace the stock headlight unit.

That particular headlight is plastic so I'm not sure if it would handle the heat from a led bulb.
Kevin

ERIC ROGERSON

Grasshopper
A while back I bought this windjammer III off of Craigs List for $30.00.
I have been lucky in that most of the hard to find pieces are still usable from this fairing.
The trim, graphics, windshield foam and bolts, I got from Carol. I am going to use the wind shield from my Vindicator fairing. The headlight came from Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291446707068?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I will have to modify part of the headlight assembly for it to fit.
I just got the fairing back from paint (free by the way). Nephew owns a auto repair shop and often trades work for whatever.
I am ready to start assembling the fairing. I will post pictures when it's finished
Meanwhile pics of fairing before and painted and with parts.
Hey Husky, the black paint does look nice, but then I've never been much of a fan of white motorcycles. I just bought a '78 gl1000 from a guy here in Spokane, got it at good price, it has 57k miles, and looks to be in good shape. Sadly, the fellow I purchased it from had to sell it for medical reasons, and had allowed it to sit for three years all but untouched. It has the Vetter Windjammer fairing, top box and two side boxes, all Vetter. I am new to Goldwings, and Vetter equipment, and have no idea where to get parts or how to care for them. I have seen things for sale on ebay, but much of what is offered appears to be well used. One might say used up. One of the previous owners painted portions of the kit with a paintbrush... I want to restore as much as I can, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Eric

husky385

Learning the Ropes
Hey Husky, the black paint does look nice, but then I've never been much of a fan of white motorcycles. I just bought a '78 gl1000 from a guy here in Spokane, got it at good price, it has 57k miles, and looks to be in good shape. Sadly, the fellow I purchased it from had to sell it for medical reasons, and had allowed it to sit for three years all but untouched. It has the Vetter Windjammer fairing, top box and two side boxes, all Vetter. I am new to Goldwings, and Vetter equipment, and have no idea where to get parts or how to care for them. I have seen things for sale on ebay, but much of what is offered appears to be well used. One might say used up. One of the previous owners painted portions of the kit with a paintbrush... I want to restore as much as I can, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Eric

The only new parts I have (new trim, new windshield bolts,windshield foam and some graphics) are from Craig Vetters site. http://www.craigvetter.com Everything else off of the fairing was reusable. I got lucky when I bought this fairing It was already in pretty good shape.
Ebay and maybe fellows on this site can steer you to other places or have parts you may need for your vetter stuff.
This site which happens to be here where I live has a lot of old Goldwing parts. http://www.cyclepsycho.com/
I'm not a painter myself so I don't think I would be much help on that score.
Post in the new members section and ask there for advice I believe these guys will be glad to help out as much as they can.
Post some pics of your bike when you get a chance.
Kevin

husky385

Learning the Ropes
I have the jammer III on the bike and it is finished. I haven't put any graphics on it yet. I'm kind of liken it without graphics. When all this nasty rain and wind quits I will get some pics outside meanwhile here are four in the garage.
That Adjure ice headlight works like a champ.
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG

Damn sorry about that last pic. I don't have clue on how to fix it. (Think I got it, roncar.)
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I have the jammer III on the bike and it is finished. I haven't put any graphics on it yet. I'm kind of liken it without graphics. When all this nasty rain and wind quits I will get some pics outside meanwhile here are four in the garage.
That Adjure ice headlight works like a champ.
View attachment 2297 View attachment 2298 View attachment 2299 View attachment 2301
Damn sorry about that last pic. I don't have clue on how to fix it. (Think I got it, roncar.)
Kevin
Amazing!!! Man that looks sharp!

husky385

Learning the Ropes
How do you like that headlight?
I like it way better than the lights that normally work in the fairing aka sealed beam bulbs.
The wide beam allows you to better see both sides of the road.
Seems brighter than the sealed beam bulbs to.

The only modification you need to do to make it work is to enlarge the hole in the back of the bucket.

Looking at it fitted I believe it could be changed to a LED bulb if you so choose.
Kevin

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I like it way better than the lights that normally work in the fairing aka sealed beam bulbs.

The only modification you need to do to make it work is to enlarge the hole in the back of the bucket.

Looking at it fitted I believe it could be changed to a LED bulb if you so choose.
Kevin
I ordered a Autopal 7" H4 light from Amazon.com for $17.98 with free shipping. It almost fit perfectly. The outside edge is a little thinner than a glass sealed beam bulb so I had to put a little peal and stick foam on the light so the light would fit tight in the housing. No cutting required on my Windjammer 4. The light pattern is very good. It does not come with an H4 bulb. I reused the H4 bulb from the headlight I removed from my Honda VLX 600 when I put my Windjammer on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Motorc...Sealed-H6014/dp/B00HK0SRWG/ref=cm_rdp_product

41Q9r5J0QpL._SX425_.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag

Kevin

While I have my WJ III project on hold, I decided to put my headlight into my WJ IV. It required no modification and fit right in.