Windjammer II mount on Honda VT1100 ACE Tourer

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
Hello, I am mounting a Windjammer II on my Honda VT 1100 Ace Tourer and need some help with the bracket. I found have an old Honda 750 mount that came with the fairing and it has served as the foundation for a design I think will work. Due to the original cross bar interfering with the frame I had to cut the mount into a Right and Left side. Each side is secured to the frame at the lower crash bar mount using a 3/16 in steel bar with a half twist. The back of each bracket is also secured to the crash bar using a 1.25 inch aluminum billet clamp. I have all of the pieces braze tacked and the mount seems to be very secure, but before I send it to a friend of mine to weld I would like to know if additional front bracing running to the frame is necessary. I've include some pics. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,756
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 860
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 734
  • IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 721
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 751

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

I think it is great to see these fairings being mounted on bikes that were not around when the fairings were designed. Craig's site as some instructions on the right angle for the mount and you might even want to send the first picture to Craig in an email and he might give you some feedback on the correct angle for the fairing. To me, it looks like the nose is high by a few inches but I am no expert.

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

I think it is great to see these fairings being mounted on bikes that were not around when the fairings were designed. Craig's site as some instructions on the right angle for the mount and you might even want to send the first picture to Craig in an email and he might give you some feedback on the correct angle for the fairing. To me, it looks like the nose is high by a few inches but I am no expert.

Hi Brian, Thanks for your reply and you may be right. I've fiddled with that position a bit and measured what I thought was correctly but I've taken your advice and written Craig directly. I had planned on doing that anyway but thought I would see what the forum brought first. This is certainly been a challenging project but I've enjoyed every bit of it. By the way I see your Retired Navy, thanks for your service. I too am Retired from the military. I retired from the Army in 1997 after 22 years. Anyway I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of Vetter aficionados.

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
I tried to get to this web page yesterday but Craig's site was down when I tried and then I got tied up with other thing. Maybe you have already seen it, but here it is: http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairings/Home-made-mounts.html
Hi Brian, thanks for the reference. Yes I've seen that page and studied it quite a bit. There are definitely some great ideas and mounts folks have done...I've learned quite a bit. I think I've got a good workable basic design and I'm at the last step whether or not to add some front braces to the frame. I'm looking forward to posting the final result.

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
Do you have some lowers too? That should be fun getting around that engine guard.:banghead
Well, I've been giving lowers a thought but like you said it will be fun trying to get around the engine guard. Also, I'm concerned about the exhaust on the right side...I'll probably melt something.:)

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Well, I've been giving lowers a thought but like you said it will be fun trying to get around the engine guard. Also, I'm concerned about the exhaust on the right side...I'll probably melt something.:)
I think with enough cutting it could be done to look good.

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to show the finished product. I had to make some minor modifications to get it all working but in the end I think it turned out well. Here's a few pics of the finished result and of the specific mount. I'll post some more details about the job in the Gallery later. It's been a challenging project and I still have some work to do with the trim and maybe painting it a matching color. - Pete

Last Import - 06.jpg
Last Import - 07.jpg
IMG_2307.jpg

Beekman

Learning the Ropes
Nice job Pete. Looks sharp on that bike, seeing cruiser Vtwins with a windjammer always amazes me with how good they look. Im usually more a fan of jap inline 4s but that just looks sexy!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
Nice job Pete. Looks sharp on that bike, seeing cruiser Vtwins with a windjammer always amazes me with how good they look. Im usually more a fan of jap inline 4s but that just looks sexy!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Thanks Beekman. I kind of like it too.

PeteB

Grasshopper
Country flag
It does look great, and I like the color-matching idea.

Make it all black!
Thanks Larry. I hadn't thought about making it all black...I agree that would probably look real nice. The current paint is still in real good shape and it would be hard for me to redo it.