Windjammer Headlight

Scott

Learning the Ropes
It was an option to have the H4 assembly instead of the sealed beam. I purchased a higher output bulb for mine a long time ago. I think the normal one is 55/60 watts and the one I purchased was 100 watts on high. I think the low beam was 80 watts but I don't remember.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Yes or no. :rolleyes: You may be able to look through the lens and see the inner envelope if it's a separate bulb, rather than just the sealed beam's filaments themselves, possibly behind a metal cap.

Scott

Learning the Ropes
I think all of my H4 units say so on the lens. Two are right in the center and one is at the bottom center. A lot of sealed beams will also say on the lens.

M. Dan Schalk

Grasshopper
Country flag
I just purchased this; Truck-Lite 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design

from http://www.levineautoparts.com/trucklite-27270c-7-inch-headlamp-led.html

Fired it up in the garage and it has very good "daytime" light. I can't figure out why i have a little flicker when it's on high beam at idle.
Will try tonight to ride out on some of the back roads to adjust the height and see how much better it is. A little spendy but it's a mount and go application and it looks good on the bike.
boone

michael_pickell

Learning the Ropes
QNTohotfUfw8W4V3O2aTjTU8nvFVsS53xBMxIodx8mKjBAZtj3.png
under high load the flicker is more noticeable.

See http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2012/jul/characterizing-and-minimizing-led-flicker-in-lighting-applications

You might want to get a power supply that will take your pulsating DC and give you a clean DC power.

Last edited:

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I just purchased this; Truck-Lite 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design

from http://www.levineautoparts.com/trucklite-27270c-7-inch-headlamp-led.html

Fired it up in the garage and it has very good "daytime" light. I can't figure out why i have a little flicker when it's on high beam at idle.
Will try tonight to ride out on some of the back roads to adjust the height and see how much better it is. A little spendy but it's a mount and go application and it looks good on the bike.
boone

Welcome to the forum Dan!

M. Dan Schalk

Grasshopper
Country flag
Thanks Brian!
The flicker could also be the voltage regulator switching in and out at low RPM. Some cars do it, too.
Michael/Larry thanks for the info. My main concern with the flicker was will it cause any issues with the MC's electrical. Not much of an electrician so any info you guys can give me, I'm all ears.
I bought the headlight with the idea to plug and go. The light is incredible with a nice wall of light on the pavement and with the low amp draw, I don't see the low/high beam dimming while at a stop light. The light is consistent, turn signals continue to flash even though I have the brake lights on. I installed "Super Bright LED's" in the tail trunk for running lights and brake lights. Also put two in the tail light of the MC itself. It seems to be a very good combination at his time.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle-led-bulbs/
Dan

M. Dan Schalk

Grasshopper
Country flag
The head light in the fairing....

MSC%20007.jpg

MSC%20008.jpg

From the end of my driveway @ 54'.

MSC%20016.jpg

The third picture is with the light on low beam and I'm standing back at the beginning of my driveway @ 54'. The light stretches across the entire front of the house. Makes it great for those rides on the country roads with minimal street lights as it more than covers the shoulders of both sides of the road.
Seems to work with the headlight warning light. I still have that slight glow of the light on the dash. I do have a slight flicker when on high beam at idle. Checked all connections and can't seem to track it down.

Tuesday night I rode out to the City Hall Saloon in Cumberland, WA. About a thirty minute drive from Kent with half of it thru the back country between Kent and Enumclaw. Nobody flashed their high beam at me the entire trip, either in town or on the back-road. I can deal with the flicker at idle since I normally don't sit behind someone with my high beam on at a stop light. At highway speeds it goes away.
No regrets at all on this one for me. This is what I have been looking for for some time now. It is spendy but I feel I gain that back with the better visibility at night.

Dan

Seth Matthews

Vetter Aficionado
LED bulbs are a little out of my budget, what are the highest wattage bulbs you guys are running in your fairings, and would a high wattage bulb create too much heat to be safe in mine?

Bladequarter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Fathers bike, bright as hell and has had it about 6 months. Im getting one next paycheck

Look twice save a life, motorcycles are everywhere

Carguy1959

Grasshopper
I used the factory head light from my 2014 CB1100. A little rigging but it is in there tight and secure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 429