Windjammer/GoldWing Facelift

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
When I bought my '81 GL1100 in 2010 it looked (for the most part) like this:

I say "for the most part" because it did not come with the saddlebags... those were the first thing I bought and put on soon after buying the bike. In addition to the bags, I also gave the bike a new paint job and changed the bags and trunk to several different configurations over the past six years.

Currently, it looks mostly like this...

Since then, I have changed the motor/drive train from an 1100 to a 1200, swapped out four carbs for one, and changed how the bags are mounted. I have the bike performing and running the way I want it to for something that is 36 years old, but something has been bothering me all this time... the fairing.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Windjammer, but I am just not a fan of the look of Windjammer SS, IV, or V. I don't like the built in turn signals, so it's time to start working on that.

A few years ago I picked up a WJ III that has been sitting in the attic of my garage just waiting to be put to use. It's time to start...

Last night I brought the fairing into the dining room and began the disassembly process, so here we go!

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
This weekend I had to work on a few things everyone that gets these old fairing deals with... Swiss Cheese. Holes, holes, and more holes.

As I documented in my Vetter Rooster Fairing repair thread, Black ABS Cement works wonders. In this case, I couldn't reinforce the holes, so I backed them with some duct tape and just filled them up.

I just need to scuff up the shiny spots to make them match the surrounding areas and then I think it's good enough for another 41 years.

Next up, replacing the GL1000 turn signals with GL1100 turn signals (it took a little bit to find a pair of those as they are just about as rare as hens teeth) and repairing the side markers and the rest of the wiring harness.

GL1000_TS.jpg
GL1100_TS.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Those two vendors have been in my favorites for a long time. Everything I've needed I've been able to find everything on this side of the pond except for one part fort my 1200 standard. For that I had to go to CMSNL.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Last night it was down to the wire... :D

I hate that when I open that left side tonneau cover I always see a birds nest of wires. On my WJ IV, I have added to the mess with the horn wiring, an auxiliary fuesbox, and several extra wires going to toggle switches for auxiliary lights, a rotary switch for my C5 ignition, and a push button switch for my garage door opener.

Because of all this, I don't use the left side of the fairing for anything. Well, for this fairing, I am going to try and change that. I pulled this out...

And this is what I am going to put back in...

Eventually, the entire wire bundle is going to be covered with the braided sleeving, so keeping everything neat and tangle free shouldn't be a problem.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
41 years is a long time to build up a few layers. I started sanding a little just to see what I could find. It looks like the original color was silver, then blue, and then the maroon. If I was going with the original graphics, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out where they go.

DA Sanders sure do make this sanding work easy.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Today I was Danielson learning from Mr. Miyagi... sand the fairing, sand the fairing, sand the fairing. Dammit! I'miss still not done.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
In addition to sanding the fairing, I also started the process of converting a set of turn signals that were never designed to be mounted to a Windjammer to be mounted. It required cutting the stems off of a GoldWing rear tail light housing and welding on a nut. These still need some work and I need to work on the filler piece, but they are pretty close.

...I also started the process of converting a set of turn signals that were never designed to be mounted to a Windjammer to be mounted. It required cutting the stems off of a GoldWing rear tail light housing and welding on a nut. These still need some work and I need to work on the filler piece, but they are pretty close...
Might just be me, however, the turn signals seem to stick out quite a ways. I'd look at narrowing them up some. DOT rules say they need to be at least 16" apart (center to center) and 4" from the headlight (edge to edge.) OEM on a GL1000 they are 18" and 5".

"DOT rules 49cfr571.108"
dotfrontturnsignals.JPG

But that may just be me as they appear to be similarly located as the ones you removed.

One of the WJ3's I've acquired had the rectangular lights installed and they are very short. I've re-purposed them for a rear mount, but you can see how short they are in these pics. Unfortunately welding is not in my skillset, so I wouldn't have had this option if someone else hadn't already done it.:(
101_1755.JPG

101_1753.JPG

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
I've already cut the tabs down an additional two inches and just need to weld a bolt onto the tab. Initially I had a nut welded on, but with the shorter length of the tab, I need to go with the bolt instead.

There is a previous repair to the fairing right where the right side turn signal mounts that throws the turn signal at a weird angle, so I will need to be careful with the spacers that I make to fill in the opening.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Well, it appears that Spring may have finally sprung here in PA, so I was able to spend some time in the garage this weekend. I spent a lot of time filling the holes in this WJ III, I wanted to make sure that I don't put any new holes back into it.

Let's see... I have a charging port (the WJ III has a built in cigarette lighter), and switches for the C5 Ignition, garage door opener, driving lights, Fiamm horns in the fairing (which I will not be relocating into the WJ III), and I also need to add another switch for the radiator fan. That's a lot of holes! So, rather than turning the fairing back into swiss cheese, I mounted a piece of plexi-glass to the handlebar risers that I can attach.

So , here is the before...