Vetter boxes for Z1000ST

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Just purchased this set of boxes, will be the next project for the Z1000ST when the fairing is finally completed. I already have a good trunk fitted so will just be using the side boxes.
May need some mounting info help from you guys when I get to that stage as they currently came with just some GL1000 frames.

Vetter Boxes.jpg

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Well decided to look at box mounting today and found that it may not be too difficult, hung a couple of temporary brackets from the Rickman carrier and hung one on to take a look. Need to extend the stay that goes to the footrest and find some indicator stalks yet. Will probably scrap old trunk that cam with the boxes for spares and use the one I have fitted previously.

Main problem I have is as seen on last picture I am missing the "unlock" key bracket, does anyone have a closeup of what this is please and how it works?

First fit boxes 1.JPG

First fit boxes 2.JPG

box lock.JPG

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
GL frames can sometimes be modified by just some simple bending. I had a set of the and got them to fit on my Hondamatic 450.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
GL frames can sometimes be modified by just some simple bending. I had a set of the and got them to fit on my Hondamatic 450.

I have mounted the boxes on the GL frames that came with them and bolted these to the bottom of my Rickman rack, the long bar that I assume attaches to the passenger footrest bolt is about 1" short so unless a GL back end is significantly shorter that the Z I would think the boxes are not far from being in the same position rearwards.
Main problem I have is not having any information or pictures of the "Lock / Unlock" unit that attaches to the back of the frame to secure the bags so I am not sure how to construct something myself.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
This is a side view best I could get leaning over the Pan European.
The reason the trunk is mounted where it is allows the seat to swing open.
The front of the boxes is forward of the rear suspension mounts which I believe is where they normally sit on a KZ.
Remember its a Rickman frame with Vetter box frames bolted to it so will not be a perfect match.

Box mount side view.JPG

Last edited:

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Found this info on the saddlebag lock cam that expands the springs, does anyone have a good picture of the actual assembly please? Am I right in thinking the locks just attach to the square bracket and then the cam goes on vertical for the lock position and turns to expand the springs when the key is turned?

lock cam.jpg

Last edited:

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Because the bags need to be forward and higher as in this picture.View attachment 1164

I have had a further look at the mounts and can raise them another couple of inches and still clear the seat opening, this will also allow for a bit of more of an air gap between exhausts and bottom of boxes if suspension gets fully compressed, thanks for the advice.

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Found this info on the saddlebag lock cam that expands the springs, does anyone have a good picture of the actual assembly please? Am I right in thinking the locks just attach to the square bracket and then the cam goes on vertical for the lock position and turns to expand the springs when the key is turned?

View attachment 1166
Yes you are correct, that is how the saddlebag locks work. And your trunk is in the right place.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Due to the limited machine shop facilities that I have (read as hacksaw and a file) the construction of the cams is at this time not practical, I needed someway to get the boxes unlatched when trying out the brackets so came up with this "box removal tool", simply push in and twist and it seems to do the job.

Box removal tool.JPG

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
2nd fitting of the side boxes now with frames fully bolted on, I have removed metal box trim for re-chroming at a later date. Replaced box locks so side boxes, trunk and the 2 locking fairing pockets now open with the same key. I have also put 2 of the same keyed locks as "dummys" in the frame locks so when I get to make the unlock cams all locks will work with the same key.
The fairing in the picture is an old "tryout" Rickman one for getting the mounting frame and lowers sorted, more on that later.
Next job is to remove fully old indicators and wiring in new ones that are mounted off the box frames on some new Kawasaki KZ400 stems I purchased.

Side Boxes second fitting.JPG

Last edited:

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Saxon, the bike sure looks great! I am sure you are turning heads everywhere on that side of the planet. Put er on the boat, unload, and lets ride!

Larry Fine

Country flag
While I'm happy with the Honda backrest/rack, I have often thought about adding saddlebags to my Nighthawk, so I do envy the good looks of the Z above, but, I must add that the color difference between the trunk and the bags would tug at my OCD strings to no end.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
While I'm happy with the Honda backrest/rack, I have often thought about adding saddlebags to my Nighthawk, so I do envy the good looks of the Z above, but, I must add that the color difference between the trunk and the bags would tug at my OCD strings to no end.

Yee I agree matching colours would be nice but when you are this side of the water Vetter stuff is pretty limited so you have to get it when you can, Trunk was "New" and cost £30, boxes and mounts along with another trunk which I used the badge off were in a pretty poor state but only cost £40 all together so will put up with it for now. Next project is to get the box trim I removed re-chromed and then maybe see if I can get some painting done.