The search begins

HorrorGuy

Learning the Ropes
heres what i picked up by Trenton last night.its stuffed in my garage so the pictures are not great .a different hub and wheel were adapted to it .the seat is missing but a reclining seat from ebay will fit the bill.the top is primer so when i find a bike for it i will paint it,i am happy becaise i think it will be a fun sidecar to play with.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 376
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 366
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 340

HorrorGuy

Learning the Ropes
when you think about it theres not a lot to the sidecar.plus people here at this site has been very helpful .Brian are you a member of the United Sidecar Association ?They are having their national meet in Corning NY at the end of July .hopefully a few Vetter sidecars will be there.

Last edited:

trikebldr

Learning the Ropes
You've got the original wheel right there, so if they didn't replace the original axle stub, you can easily restore it. Here's the bearing number for the two bearings used: Amcan L44643LA Taper
I found them on Amazon for $4.95/each, but now they are $9.95/each, plus another $9.95 for shipping. But, I doubt I will ever have to replace mine again.
Did you get the original brake rotor, too?
Just get that wheel lightly bead blasted and paint it and it will be like new! BTW, if you choose to go with the original wheel and want to use the stock black plastic cap over the axle nut, I have one that I won't ever use. I much prefer the three point metal spinner.
I see you also have the original Carlisle Arrow tire on yours, too! Mine has all of the tread, but I still don't trust a 37 year old tire very far on the road.
Gotta say, yours looks like it's in great shape. Too bad it doesn't have the custom molded seat base, at least.
What's wrong with hooking it to that nice, red 'Wing in the first pic? Some of the body styling ques are very close! Can't wait to see what you end up with.
Since the pic, I have stripped off all the body decals so mine is now all black, getting ready for matching panel colors to the bike's.
This winter I will also be finishing my auxiliary 7.5gal gas tank to mount to the left side of the car, plus a new brake master and pedal mount. Hoping to make a new model-t-style rag top for it, and a heater with blower.
LOTS of possibilities with the cars!

HorrorGuy

Learning the Ropes
The hub was replaced and fits the new rim and tire in the picture.no brake parts..the Wing is my brother in laws .i have been trying to sell it for him all summer.its a great bike .its on my list.i also see a couple of good deals on several BMWs.and a few older wings.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
when you think about it theres not a lot to the sidecar.plus people here at this site has been very helpful .Brian are ypu a member of the United Sidecar Association ?They are having their national meet in Corning NY at the end of July .hopefully a few Vetter sidecars will be there.

Nope. I am not a side car person, but if I did own one, it would be the Terraplane. I was close to buying one once. The guy wanted $500 for something that was being used as a beer cooler. My purpose for buying one isn't to mount it as a sidecar though... I would convert it into a trailer and pull it behind the bike for all of my camping gear.

HorrorGuy

Learning the Ropes
i love sidecars .i use mine almost every day.i got some crazy looks when i went to lowes and was putting pavers in it..the Vetter Terraplane has a lot going for it .i do plan on adding led lighting for the sides and the back.i lost a very nice sidecar rig to a pizza delivery girl so i want it to very visible.

trikebldr

Learning the Ropes
Horrorguy, did they change the actual axle itself when they went to a different hub and wheel? If not, then your original wheel will fit right up with new bearings. Are you looking to go back to a stock restoration? What previous rig did you have? I had a Motorvation Spyder car on anther Voyager in the mid-'80's. Loved that rig!
Brian, I saw one converted into a trailer once, being pulled behind a TerraPlane sidecar rig, no less. You see all sorts of things at the sidecar rallies. A TerraPlane trailer seems like such a waste, though. Maybe Craig should have done one like that!

HorrorGuy

Learning the Ropes
looks like they changed everything as far as the axle set up .i will take a picture of it i have a 93 Harley with a 96 Harley sidecar.The one that was totaled was a 88 Harley with a 87 Harley sidecar.before that i had a bunch of old Harley Police bikes with sidecars back in the 80s.i had a few other brand sidecars back then also.i went back to sidecars when i got so crippled i could barely walk.but 2 hip replacements later i am still riding . as far as restoring it i will just replace a few things.the seat i will replace with a seat from summit or another hotrod place.Paint .some better lighting i just miss a old goldwing for $600 .but i will find a low buck ride to put it on.my social security check only goes so far lol..

Last edited: