SOLD: Pair of Polk DB401 4" speakers / grilles - $30 plus shipping from NJ

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Hi, decided I HAD to go back to stock Vetter speaker grilles, and thus bought a different set of speakers (J&M USK-9000s actually). Hence these are for sale. They are in perfect shape; see pic below. I will try to ship as inexpensively as I can. No screws are included. If interested, please PM or E-mail me at scottfettner@hotmail.com

http://vetterowners.com/attachments/photo-45-jpg.786/

I think those are the same exact speakers I have on my bike and my Vetter grills fir perfect.... Maybe we are using different Cycle Sound or Vetter grills.. Ill shoot you a pic this weekend.

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
Well, pretty sure I read on this forum from a couple people that the "Vetter Sound" grills (silver wrinkle finish ring with black mesh and "Vetter" Chrome emblems in the center) would not work with them due to the tweeter, which is raised too high (seemed obvious too to me, though I admit I did not even try to test it). I do recall someone saying they got it to work with some "spacers", but wasn't sure how that would look. Regardless, the speakers I did buy are nice quality, so I have no reason to keep the Polks now.

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
To make mine fit I went to the hardware store and bought round plastic spacers and put them between the radio pod and speaker covers to add clearance for the tweeter.

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
I remember seeing you talk about that in another thread, was trying to picture how that might look / if some type of gap would be visible. Too late for me, but could you post a pic?

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Here is the scoop on what will fit on the speaker below. Also here is a link to a detailed image of each.
Cycle Sound and Vetter Sound Speaker Grills

1. Yes, lots of clearance
2. Very tight right against the grill, however will fit
3. N/A 3" Speaker
4. Yes, decent clearance
5. Not at all
6. Yes, decent clearance

Cycle-Sound-Vetter-Speaker-Grills-Numbered.jpg
Polk-Cycle-Sound-Vetter-Speaker-Grills-01.jpg

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
Good to know, thanks! I still wonder how those tweeters would look under the "#6" style grills on my bike.

The Polks are still for sale, as I rather like the sound of the ones I bought (apparently unnecessarily).

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
I'm offering for sale a set of the polk speakers and integrated polk grills only, and with no screws. Im using the #6 style Vetter grills with a different set of speakers, which i bought recently under the apparently (based on your recent post) mistaken assumption that the polk speakers could not be used with my Vetter grills.

I'm not doubting the #6 Vetter grills would work with the Polk, just thinking it might look odd, seeing the tweeter through the mesh.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Ahhh, I see, I am going to use the #4's on mine. I like that more square look. Ill take a pic with the #6's for you tomorrow. You may have already mentioned this..., what speakers did you replace the Polk's with, and do you like them better?

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
Thanks, I would be curious to see the combo.

I'm using J&M USK 9000s, which I saw recommended on this site and somewhere else. I can't say They are better or worse than the Polks, only that they are quite good. Plenty loud and no discernible distortion at the volumes I use.

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
Interesting. The Polk's tweeters are indeed quite obvious behind the mesh, which I am not sure I like. So mine are still for sale, haw haw!

By the way, my dad had a '77 (I think it was) Hondamatic 750; I rode it a few times. I don't recall loving it. After he passed away in 1990, I listed it for sale in the "Want-Ad Press" and ended up selling it to a police department here in NJ; the chief of police wanted it as a "spare" to the one they had in service a police bike! They also bought the 1979 CX500 custom I rode as a teen and through my college years (Dad was partial to Hondas). I have a pic of that bike somewhere...

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
How about $39, and if it ships for less, I'll refund the difference? If interested, PM me so we can exchange addresses....thanks! best, Scott

Bladequarter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
do these handle weather fine, I ride rain or shine.

If they do I want them, Just pm me and we will tal about how to get the money to you.

Look twice save a life, motorcycles are everywhere

Last edited: