saddle bags

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
Seems to me the Bagman soft saddle bags were Vetters........
12-12-07111.jpg

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I have not hooked up my truck electrical yet. I have a question for you. Are the lights on the truck additional break lights? Turn signals? or both?

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Last edited:

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
9-1386737272-3e5cfab43735ec6a976d52775bb524aa.jpg

On this trunk it was missing the original plug, so I want to Radio Shack and bought a 4 wire plug. I am wiring this trunk so that turn signals can be used, with brake and clearance lights.

Ed Fleming

Grasshopper
9-1386737272-3e5cfab43735ec6a976d52775bb524aa.jpg

On this trunk it was missing the original plug, so I want to Radio Shack and bought a 4 wire plug. I am wiring this trunk so that turn signals can be used, with brake and clearance lights.

When you say "clearance lights", do you mean the non-brake mode for the 4 rear lights, since each bulb is a two-filament? The picture looks like the inner 2 lenses are amber lenses and the outer 2 are red. Is that correct, or am I seeing things that aren't there :) I need to wire my trunk also, since the original harness is gone. I wish I had a look at an original harness to go by when making a new one. If that 4 wire plug you bought is the right size and everything to fit the rectangular hole in the trunk, maybe I'll do the same. What is the RadioShack number for it (if you have it)? Thanks!

Last edited:

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Yes, each light has a brake and clearance wire to each bulb. And a ground wire.
Does the trunk still have the 3 wire plug on the trunk side? If so, you can use the plug from a turn signal and wire it.
If I remember right, the 3 wire plugs from a turn signal also fits in the current hole.
If you use the 4 wire plug, you need to open the plug area a bit. The new plug is slightly larger.
I will send pictures when I get a chance.

Ed Fleming

Grasshopper
Thanks. The picture of the socket is one I found online somewhere. I only have the serial number plate with a hole where the socket was in my trunk, so I am starting from there. The wires from the lights are laying loose inside...

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
When you say "clearance lights", do you mean the non-brake mode for the 4 rear lights, since each bulb is a two-filament? The picture looks like the inner 2 lenses are amber lenses and the outer 2 are red. Is that correct, or am I seeing things that aren't there :) I need to wire my trunk also, since the original harness is gone. I wish I had a look at an original harness to go by when making a new one. If that 4 wire plug you bought is the right size and everything to fit the rectangular hole in the trunk, maybe I'll do the same. What is the RadioShack number for it (if you have it)? Thanks!
I switched out the red center lenses for amber. I am building a police bike and I am going to use the ambers for alternating lights.

roncar

I rewired my trunk 5 or so years ago and added a few things. The center 2 are wired as running and brake lights and the outer are wired like the front OEM turn signals, turn and switched running lights (76 GL1000.) To do this I needed many more wires going into the trunk. My solution was a wiring harness from a scrapped Vetter fairing. Wired as followed:

FUNCTION HARNESS BIKE

left turn orange orange
left running yellow orange/white
ground black green
brake brown brown/green
running green green/yellow
right turn blue light blue
right running violet light blue/white
aux red not connected
aux white not connected

Was a lot more work than I anticipated (had been putting it off for about 9 months) but I am pleased with the result.

101_0401.sized.jpg

101_0402.sized.jpg

101_0403.sized.jpg

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
P1000561.JPG

Ed, as you can see someone before me hacked up the plug area pretty bad. But here is what I was able to do with the 4 wire plug. Item#274-234
P1000561.JPG
P1000570 (2).JPG

And here is the plug end. Item#274-224

Last edited:

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
Seems to me the Bagman soft saddle bags were Vetters........
12-12-07111.jpg
If I remember reading correctly "The Bagman" brand was owned/ran/made by Craig Vetter's brother originally. So technically the soft saddle and tank bags were VETTER items :) - As well as the Early HippoHands

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
A 6 pin Molex connector can be installed in the data plate. Remove the data plate by carefully drilling out the rivets with a 1/8" drill. Enlarge the hole in the data plate so the new 6 pin Molex connector fits. Now you can wire it up for separate brake and turn signals as well as having 4 tail lights.
You'll notice I only used 4 of the 6 positions. I have a 3 to 2 trailer light converter so I only needed 4 wires. If I ever sold my trunk the new owner could add those 2 wires and not need the converter.

These Molex connectors are available from Mouser.com

The Molex plug that installs in the Data plate is Mouser part number 538-03-09-1064
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/03-09-1064/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuzXLcWrSfMr4AImWoNFp%2b43p17M8Rvg8Q=

The matching Molex plug that connects to the bikes wiring harness is Mouser part number 538-03-09-2061
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/03-09-2061/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuzXLcWrSfMr5VY9UBSNJarM9pVpyO2hRM=

You'll also need pins that connects to the 2 wiring harnesses you'll make.
These female pins go into the Molex connector that mounts in the data plate and connects to the light sockets.
Mouser part number 538-02-09-1104
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EpiMZZMuzXLcWrSfMr4AImWoNFp%2b4ZZ7WOB%2bAqWQ=

These male pins go into the Molex connector that is connected to the wires that connect to the Bikes wiring harness.
Mouser part number 538-02-09-6106
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/02-09-6106/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuzXLcWrSfMr7loHmT8G06hTfE3NAFkUxs=

Buy extra pins! None of us are perfect so you might screw up a pin or two when crimping the pins to the wires. This also allows changing out pins and wires that may corrode over time. Beer, Soda, and other spilled liquids in the trunk will cause them to corrode and cause you lighting headaches.

S5030075.jpg