S1000 new forum member

philwarner

Grasshopper
I just signed up for the forum, but my S1000 and 1966 yamaha YM1 305 Cross Country Sport are still in the back corner of the barn awaiting Spring to drag them out into the light for photos to send.

philwarner

Grasshopper
It has been quite awhile since I visited this site and I came back because I ran across a photo of my Yamaha 305 Sport with its Vetter S1000 faring taken in 1971 when I was in college at Ohio State (before it was THE Ohio State). I may have sent this photo earlier, but did not find it among the owners' pages. My 305 is a 1966 and the same model used for the first Vetter fairing design. I don't remember now where I found it, but it did not come with the bike. I made mounting brackets for it in the machine shop I worked in at the university while working my way through college. I also made the rear rack there. The fairing has no serial number so it must be very early and I think I have corresponded with Craig about that in the past. I am curious whether the S1000 designation came when these were first marketed or of it was added to differentiate it from other models when they were designed later. The 305 is still in the barn awaiting its turn for refurbishment and is without its original windshield lost in a gravel road crash in Ohio more than 40 years ago. I am not sure how to add to the owner's page so I am writing here because I had saved this thread on my laptop.

Attachments

• My 66 Yamaha 305 in Dayton in marked Aug 67 2.jpg
    My 66 Yamaha 305 in Dayton in marked Aug 67 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 351
  • my 66 Yamaha 305 with Vetter S1000 fairing Mar 1971.jpg
    my 66 Yamaha 305 with Vetter S1000 fairing Mar 1971.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 302

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Heya Phil,

Great to hear from you again. Thats gonna be a fun restoration project. Cant wait to see the final result.

As far as serial numbers go, I not as familiar with the 1000's as I am with the WJ's. However, bu what I have read the serial numbers are hidden under the windshield.

http://craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairings/Series1000.html

Its also rumored that the really early models did not have serials.

philwarner

Grasshopper
Heya Phil,

Great to hear from you again. Thats gonna be a fun restoration project. Cant wait to see the final result.

As far as serial numbers go, I not as familiar with the 1000's as I am with the WJ's. However, bu what I have read the serial numbers are hidden under the windshield.

http://craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairings/Series1000.html

Its also rumored that the really early models did not have serials.

I wish I could remember where and when I found my S1000 fairing. I know it did not come with the my 66 Yamaha Sport YM1 when I purchased it from another Ohio State University student in December of 1967, but I have neither the memory nor any sales documentation and I was not keeping notes at the time like I have to now with too many projects and an old brain to keep track of them.

I do know that there is no serial number scratched in the upper shell under where the windshield mounts, and I may have bought it without a windshield because I remember making one of Plexiglas in the University machine shop where I was working my way through school at the time. I think the Vetter logo is a little different (smaller?) than later ones too. My bike was damaged in August of 1968 in the back of my ford pickup when a dump truck in Savannah Georgia crossed the center line and knocked me into a concrete bridge abutment, and it did not have the fairing on it at that time. I may have acquired it between then and a photo taken if it with the fairing in March of 1971.

I put a number of miles on that bike with the S1000 in college including a long trip to Michigan with a friend to visit his parents when we were practically blown off the road by side winds in a storm and took refuge under an overpass. My one negative memory is that in rain the water collected on the inner edges of the fairing and blew back onto my knees and would run down into and eventually fill up the engineer boots I wore as riding boots then. The rest of me stayed dry as long as I kept moving.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Love the pics, period specific personal images are the best. A very cool time in the history for motorcycles.

As far as the logo on the 1000, it looks to be correct with the images aside from the one Craig had. His may have been a prototype and the consistancy didn't come till production hit.

vetter-phantom-1000-fairing.jpg

If you end up needing a reproduction windshield here is a place to look at.

https://bikescreen.com/collections/fairing-manufacturers/vetter