Rooster Installation Instructions / Hardware

wedoo2

Grasshopper
I have a 78 Suzuki GS750 that I am going to put a Rooster on and of course I do not have the correct hardware for it. Wanted to know if anyone has a copy of the installation instructions for the fairing so I can fab my own. Or if anyone has the hardware kit I would be interested. There is a kit on eBay but I am a bit cautious about it since I cannot see everything I think should be in the kit. The instructions would be good enough I think. Thanks in advance.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
First, Welcome to the forum! I am in the process of repairing one and mounting it on my 1984 GL1200 ( http://www.vetterowners.com/threads/vetter-rooster-fairing.203/#post-1098 ). I found that there isn't very much information out there on them.

First question: Does your fairing have the silver bar sticking out of the bottom similar to the one on the photo below? That is how it "should be attached to the handlebars with the hardware that comes with the fairing. If you do not have it, then you need to improvise.

172-1394802220-7fdbad942484f03f24f5c43902346db5.jpg

The way I am mounting mine is I am using the mounting hardware from an old National Cycle windscreen that I had laying around that I did not like ( I am a bit of a pack rat so I don't get rid of things that often unless I can get something ($$$$) for it :D). The hardware for that windscreen will also work for the Rooster at the bars and the forks.

176-1394803661-75628137d8390c702f24db4db54ac608.jpg

178-1394803665-8673870c393eeebccfc03b425791e02a.jpg

For attaching the fairing at the front (around the headlight,) I bent some metal brackets up that came with a Rooster rectangular headlight/turn signal kit that I also bought (it was missing the turn signals so it was dirt cheap). Those instructions are attached to give you an idea of what kind of instructions came with these things.

174-1394803209-4dae072adbe7c1511466fb8fa94a92e0.jpg

175-1394803210-b45aa7069b5e33cc428ac3db52a443e4.jpg

The backwards "Z" shaped bracket is what I bent up to create an offset so I can clear the huge headlight bucket of my 1200.

177-1394803664-5496a4545d4e39494179ef8a4e4b70bb.jpg

Then I just attached one of the slotted bars to my bracket and that connects to the fork attach point at the Red Arrow in the picture above.

I have some fine tuning to do to it, but this is going to work. I have already had it on the bike and mocked it up and rode down the road with it on before I started painting it, so now it is just a matter of waiting on some warmer weather (again :mad:) and then I can finish that project up.

wedoo2

Grasshopper
Wow, what a quick reply and very helpful. I do have that piece of metal that goes to the handlebars. I had one of these on a GS400 back in the day and I am reminded of how these are mounted now. I am not worried about the front bracket. I am pretty sure how I can do that, it's the handlebar mount that has me troubled. It's that 90 degree turn that I have to negotiate. I've been looking around for a bracket on a National Cycle windshield without any luck so far. That is a good setup so I am going to keep looking.

Here's a pic from long ago.

Bikes4_zpsb2c229b9.jpg

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Great information Brian! Thanks for the detailed post. Welcome to the forum wedoo2.

I am moving this thread to the Other Fairings Technical Forum

Antonio Carrillo

Grasshopper
Wow, what a quick reply and very helpful. I do have that piece of metal that goes to the handlebars. I had one of these on a GS400 back in the day and I am reminded of how these are mounted now. I am not worried about the front bracket. I am pretty sure how I can do that, it's the handlebar mount that has me troubled. It's that 90 degree turn that I have to negotiate. I've been looking around for a bracket on a National Cycle windshield without any luck so far. That is a good setup so I am going to keep looking.

Here's a pic from long ago.

Bikes4_zpsb2c229b9.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Antonio. Short of tripping over them on ebay or a swap meet, no real way of saying as they are no longer made. :(