Removing the pinstripe and decals on Fairing and Bags

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
The Decals and Pinstripes were looking really bad on my Windjammer fairing and Saddlebags. I had removed the Kawasaki decal before I even started fabricating the mount for the fairing. The strips were scratched and nicked really badly on the bags and a few places on the fairing. It was bad enough I wanted to remove them even if I was not going to paint the fairing and bags. The trick for easy removal is just a little heat and a plastic putty scraper. How much heat? All you need is a warm sunny day. Don't even attempt any other type of heat, even a hair dryer. Take the fairing or bags out in the sun and let them warm up. While that's happening grab a sheet of 150 grit sandpaper and sharpen the putty knife with it. You'll need to sharpen that putty knife often as it dulls rapidly during the removal process. When you start removing the strips start at a scratch where the strip is cut. This is where you want to start removing the strips. If you don't have any scratches use a corner of the putty knife to make one. Then place the putty knife on the end of a strip and push the putty knife diagonally as you push into the strip. It will peel up. Once you have a bit of peeled strip attempt to peel it off by pulling it away from the surface it's applied on. Hopefully the glue used between the decal or strips will have loosed from the sun heated plastic and the decal or strip will start peeling right off. In some places the decal or strip will break which will require use of the putty again. The plastic putty knife dulls rapidly so you'll need to sharpen it often on that sheet of 150 grit sandpaper. Once the decals and strips are gone you'll need some type of glue remover to clean up the fairing and bags.

My fairing and bags look a lot better without those decals and strips.

Last edited:

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
The Decals and Pinstripes were looking really bad on my Windjammer fairing and Saddlebags. I had removed the Kawasaki decal before I even started fabricating the mount for the fairing. The strips were scratched and nicked really badly on the bags and a few places on the fairing. It was bad enough I wanted to remove them even if I was not going to paint the fairing and bags. The trick for easy removal is just a little heat and a plastic putty scraper. How much heat? All you need is a warm sunny day. Don't even attempt any other type of heat, even a hair dryer. Take the fairing or bags out in the sun and let them warm up. While that's happening grab a sheet of 150 grit sandpaper and sharpen the putty knife with it. You'll need to sharpen that putty knife often as it dulls rapidly during the removal process. When you start removing the strips start at a scratch where the strip is cut. This is where you want to start removing the strips. If you don't have any scratches use a corner of the putty knife to make one. Then place the putty knife on the end of a strip and push the putty knife diagonally as you push into the strip. It will peel up. Once you have a bit of peeled strip attempt to peel it off by pulling it away from the surface it's applied on. Hopefully the glue used between the decal or strips will have loosed from the sun heated plastic and the decal or strip will start peeling right off. In some places the decal or strip will break which will require use of the putty again. The plastic putty knife dulls rapidly so you'll need to sharpen it often on that sheet of 150 grit sandpaper. Once the decals and strips are gone you'll need some type of glue remover to clean up the fairing and bags.

My fairing and bags look a lot better without those decals and strips.
Thanks for the guide!