eddypeck

Grasshopper
Hi, not quite a new owner as I'm not due to pick up the bike till tomorrow but I'm rather impatient.

I'm getting a 1980 GS1000G (the shaft drive one) and it happens to be fitted with what I have now worked out from browsing this site, a Windjammer 5 fairing, no lower parts. But also has what may be the matching floating panniers?

An standard universal top box is fitted.

2017-09-16-15-35-18-hdr.jpg

It's only via Googling the Windjammer name on the side that I've been finding out info and came across this club.

My original thoughts was it's not for me and I'm planning to remove it all and get to the basic bike underneath, but I think I'll ride it round for a while and see if I don't get used to it.

Is there a market for these if I do decide it's unwanted?

Last edited:

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
You want to keep that Windjammer on the bike. It makes riding so much more comfortable. I ride mine year round. I had a Honda CX500 back in the early 70's with a Windjammer and enjoyed it a lot. When I was given a Windjammer 4 I was pleasantly surprised to find it would just fit my Honda VLX 600. I had to design and fabricate a mount for it for my modern bike. It was well worth the the time and effort to do it. To this day that Windjammer is better than any of those modern shields and fairings sold today or the fairings and luggage they put on modern grossly overweight so called factory built 'Touring Bikes' like the Harley's and Goldwings.

Larry Fine

Country flag
The fairing in the OP's picture is not a WJ 5, which has the mask around the headlight that covers the unused windshield center mounting hole, thusly:

mIgFQknu22goKKG1BRmjAFA.jpg
s-l225.jpg

eddypeck

Grasshopper
Funny you should say that as I noticed that when I was looking at the different models on Craig Vetter site, which was why I thought it was the 4.

However, this is what's on it:

2017-09-18-11-38-33.jpg

eddypeck

Grasshopper
That's what I wondered after you posted, I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't look like there's anything missing. No holes or clips or anything odd about it, it looks like it's all original and correct. Although there is that ridge along the bottom. Interesting.

I have currently removed it to give the bike a good check over. Easy to do, the bolts to the frame had wingnut heads on. They were done tight so nothing to worry about.

2017-09-18-11-39-07.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

That is a WJ V and the headline surround is missing, which explains the ridges that you see.