My Phantom 1600

oldbob

Grasshopper
I need to restore this. Most likely, I'll take it to a shop that does fiberglass boat repair.

It was made for a Suzuki T500; a bike I have yet to add to my garage.
fairing04_zps1b0ca6eb.jpg

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Wow, that is super neat. I want to find a Phantom fairing for my collection. It looks to be in decent condition too.

Take lots of pics of its restoration. When you get more images in the thread we can port it to the tech forum for Phantoms.

oldbob

Grasshopper
Good idea.

I need to post some photos of the mounting hardware. Compared to the hardware used on Windjammers, it appears almost crude. No, I'm not saying that I could have done better.

Bob

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
There was one on eBay a while back. Since they are so hard to find and specifically built around a particular bike, you almost have to buy what you find then get the bike that fits it!

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
There was one on eBay a while back. Since they are so hard to find and specifically built around a particular bike, you almost have to buy what you find then get the bike that fits it!
Darn! They look so sweet (probably cool enough to buy a bike to match :). I wonder how hard they would be to reproduce? I just did my first foray into fiberglass to fix (or keep from making it worse) a small crack in my Nighthawk side panel and it was fun to work with.

And of course I couldn't resist making a video of the process (once you get your first youtube check it becomes a sickness).

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Just looking at fiberglass makes me itch. I think your video made it itch. I grew up around that stuff because of Dad. He did lots of Corvette restorations.

oldbob

Grasshopper

That's pretty much what I have been thinking. I like the Suzuki T500 but before I can add one to the fleet, I need to sell a couple of bikes.

Bob

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
I finally found one!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414276953.629781.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414276964.653538.jpg
I was told it came off a '70 Norton. So, how do I find out which Phantom fairing this is? It's in good shape except for a to small cracks on an edge that should be easy to fix. I also picked up a '78 Honda Goldwing covered in Vetter too. It was a good weekend:).

Epic Trekker
Trailone10.com

oldbob

Grasshopper
I finally found one! View attachment 813View attachment 814 I was told it came off a '70 Norton. So, how do I find out which Phantom fairing this is? It's in good shape except for a to small cracks on an edge that should be easy to fix. I also picked up a '78 Honda Goldwing covered in Vetter too. It was a good weekend:).

Epic Trekker
Trailone10.com

Write to Craig Vetter. He helped me find the serial number on my fairing and with that information, was able to tell me when it had been made.

Bob

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
The previous owner showed me a hand etched serial number under the foam that goes between the fairing and the windshield but it doesn't mean anything to me yet. Such a cool fairing!

Epic Trekker
Trailone10.com

oldbob

Grasshopper
The previous owner showed me a hand etched serial number under the foam that goes between the fairing and the windshield but it doesn't mean anything to me yet. Such a cool fairing!

Epic Trekker
Trailone10.com
Mine also has the "hand etched" number, which I mis-read. After I sent a photo to Craig, he was able to correctly read it.

They are cool fairings. I hope to someday put it on a restored T500, and have an early-70s interpretation of a touring bike.

Bob

Epic Trekker

Learning the Ropes
I got a couple pictures of the numbers off my Phantom that I'll send on over to Mr. Vetter, but I thought you all might enjoy them too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414471447.127968.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414471466.540665.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414471478.685873.jpg

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Thanks for sharing those, it's interesting how in the later years of Craig's fairings that he was very into serial numbers and tracking. In the early days it was just scratching numbers with a scratch awl and concealing serials on top of that.